• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Something interesting about our mail server...

Started by Chris Swingler, 2002-10-10T01:02:27-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Swingler

Well, I sent an email to someone, and got this response:  http://spamblock.outblaze.com/146.163.5.4

IP address look familiar?  That would be one of SIUE's for its mail servers.  Does OIT even run a firewall up here on campus?

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Peter Motyka

That really isnt a firewall issue, more of a careless sendmail configuration.  I wonder how up to date that database is, last time I checked, mail.siue.edu was a closed relay... why not check again.

220 mail.isg.siue.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.1/8.9.1; Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:00:35 -050
0 (CDT)
helo name
250 mail.isg.siue.edu Hello MV3-24.171.25.248.charter-stl.com [24.171.25.248], pleased to meet you
mail from:
250 ... Sender ok
rcpt to:
550 ... Relaying denied

Looks like an out of date open relay database. Regardless, SIUE admins should consider removing the sendmail version from the welcome msg.  It is rather lame to advertise your version.  Makes it that much easier for hackers to exploit the server....

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

William Grim

Word up.

In non-Ebonics, "I agree."  Ha ha.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Stiffler

Yo, can the jive talk. Dig it?

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Chris Swingler

Yo buss dis. Maybe you should go visit de ebonics wrapper here. Damn!

--Beanie

QuoteStiffler wrote:
Yo, can the jive talk. Dig it?

Jon
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Stiffler

I still say that this is the United States of America, and that everyone here Should speak American English in Public. Also, everyone should speak a dialect that everyone can understand. If you can't understand,tough. No more wasted tax dollars on translating everything to a different language. In your personal Dwellings, you may speak whatever language and dialect you whish. Am I in the wrong to think in that manner?

Jon

Stiffler

Oh, that translator does not work right. I entered, "Give me all your money before I kill you.", and got back the response, "Yo buss dis. Give me all yo duckets befo I kill you. Sheeit!", but the correct response is, "Gimme yo fat wad befo I bust a cap in your ass, mother-f*****." Some wish to add the word "sorry" before "ass".

Jon

Chris Swingler

Hear hear.  If you're outside of your home, you better be speaking American English.  Where I'm from, we have such a humongus Latino population, that you can't walk anywhere without seeing "se habla espaÃÆ'Ã,±ol."  It's actually quite irritating to those of us who speak proper English.  In addition to that, where I work back home (Chandler's Boat & Bait), about 70% of our customers on the weekends are hispanic, and none of us can speak Spanish.  (I took three years of Spanish in High School and still can't speak it!)

As for the ebonics translator, all it does is swap words, and then add a few phrases from a set of strings linked to a random number generator.  What do you expect?  It's not like there is an Ebonics major sitting there translating by hand all the time...

And how did we get to ebonics on a topic about our email server, anyhow?

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator