• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Someone living our dream

Started by William Grim, 2004-11-13T08:25:13-06:00 (Saturday)

Previous topic - Next topic

William Grim

William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Tyler

Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

William Grim

No idea, but I thought it was pretty good too.
William Grim

It's old, happened 6 years ago or so.

Bryan

yeah this thing is ancient, but at any rate I don't know why people hate Bill Gates so much.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

I think people hate Bill Gates so much people he is in charge of such an "evil" company.  True M$ is pretty evil, but honestly, I can't say that I wouldn't do the same things with M$ that he's doing if I were in his shoes.

DaleDoe

QuoteI don't know why people hate Bill Gates so much.

Do you use any software from the company he helped found?:bluescreen:

I think it is a combination of envy of his money and the fact that we're always being frustrated by bloated, buggy MS products.  We don't seem to hate CEOs of other evil corporations nearly so much.

I, for one, would never be in Gates's shoes.  If I had anywhere near that much money I'd be retired.  I have better things to do with my time and money than crushing the competition.  What about enjoying life?!  I'll leave corporate domination to those who lust for power and money.  I've got more important things to chase. 8-)
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Bryan

If you are naive enough to think that Bill still runs Microsoft and has complete control over everything that goes on you are sorely mistaken.  As far as I'm concerned Microsoft is the perfect company.  One word - dependence.  The entire country if not world is entirely dependent on Microsoft until Linux decides it's going to start creating for the masses (not likely to happen any time soon).  Now linux has it's most wonderful uses in the server and workstation arena but NOTHING can compete with Windows on home based machines which in turn familiarizes peopel to it and then they require that OS in a work environment. Next thing you know Microsoft is selling licenses to companies and making MORE money.  the circle of dependence increases. They can do whatever, however, and whenever they want.  For god sakes look at Windows ME.  they made so much money off of that, I won't be seeing that amount in my life time.  Don't get me wrong personally I don't like windows and all the crap problems that come along with it, but you gotta hand it to Microsoft.

I know this post will probably fall on deaf ears because it's the nerdiest of the nerdiest at SIUE reading this but, I could care less, and ya know what?  Bill Gates could too.  All he sees is the absolutely insane license fee that he charged this university to have a campus wide license for use.  His company is as far as I'm concerned the pinicalle of the american dream.  Do whatever you want, however you want, whever you want and you will make MILLIONS. Having said that I'm also not fond of the so called "american dream"   :roll:
Bryan Grubaugh

Tyler

William Grim

If MS has such a strong hold on the industry, why are many parts of IT focusing increasing attention on Linux and OSS in general?  Also, some countries (Germany is only one that comes to mind that I'm 100% sure about) are either using Linux or thinking about Linux.  Germany, in particular, relies on SuSE Linux.

As for competing with MS in the home-based arena, I turn your attention to Debian and its commercial flavors.  I installed Debian on my father's computer, and while he doesn't use a computer much, when he does use the computer, he doesn't seem to have any problems with it.  Although, I'm an exception in this area because I'm skilled at Linux and can do installations for people without too much of a problem, but then that's what we also call a trickle-down effect...

So, as more companies use Linux and more skilled users use Linux at home, Linux will undoubtedly trickle down to the masses.  More software will be written that does complex things, sure, but more software will also be written for the average person as more average people use it.  Also, we've got Id and others to thank for beginning to develop their software to run on Linux as well, and as we all know, games push the development envelope in whatever arena it chooses.

Also, while Bill Gates (tm) cares nothing about us.... I care nothing about him.  He and his company can do what it wants; we will do what we want and also be successful.
William Grim

Bryan

Again mike I'm talking to the nerdiest of the nerdiest here so it is somewhat pointless.  You mentioned IT departments, well bud most IT departments actually KNOW computers! (imagine that)  My mom has trouble figuring out what to do when the computer doesn't do exactly what it's always done every time she's used it before, and she is actually somewaht comptuer literate.  Of the MILLIONS of people in this country I'd say that less than 10% are computer literate enough to manage running a Linux box successfully.  This could change however.(and it would be nice if it did) but for now, MS has got them.  name one name brand PC that you can buy that comes with a flavor of linux (and I'm not talking servers, sun systems, etc. I'm talking Dell, Gateway and all the other thousand computers you can buy.  you are entitled to your own opinion but if you don't think that Microsoft doesn't have this country by a strangle hold then I wish I was as naieve(htf do you spell this word?)  as you.

As for other countries you are absolutely right, talk to Elizabeth Weber about all the billboards and signs they have around Brazil pushing for Linux use.

The more I post on this the more I realize why we hate Microsoft, and the more I realize just how futile converting the masses would be.
Bryan Grubaugh

William Grim

Well, I was specifically referring to the fact that MS doesn't have any strangle hold over most of the world.  At best, they have it in America and maybe one or two other places.  I brought up this point because you said "America and possibly the world;" can't remember exact wording.

However, as far as I know, you may specifically request Linux be installed on an IBM system... I believe Dell is rethinking their strategy with this as well.  Unfortunately, I don't have the links right now.

But, I don't consider converting the masses to be futile; it's juat a plain matter that I don't care enough to convert most people.  I'll talk to people who are willing to listen, and perhaps I'll preach to some people a little bit, but I won't really waste my time if they're that adamant about their computer (unless somehow it impacts me).

BTW, it's "naive."
William Grim