• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Hurricane Relief

Started by Brad Nunnally, 2005-09-01T16:52:31-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Nunnally

Is anyone interested in trying to do some kind of fund raiser to donate money to the relief fund. We did this for the tsunami(sp?) relief witht he ipod. I was wondering, since this has happened at home, if there is something we can do to for the relief. I am pretty sure they accept water, food, and mainly money. I will look into more tonight to get the details. I just wanted you guys input on whether we should look into this or not. Thanks.

"A rich man without charity is a rogue; and perhaps it would be no difficult matter to prove that he is also a fool."
Henry Fielding
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Tyler

If you wanted to do something like the ipod giveaway we did last year, I might be willing to donate an ipod shuffle or something like that if it will help raise money for Katrina victims.  Let me know.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

derrickb52

Geeks unite!

What did you guys do last year, for those of us who have been away from the forum for a few years?

Brad Nunnally

Quotederrickb52 wrote:
Geeks unite!

What did you guys do last year, for those of us who have been away from the forum for a few years?

Last year on the quad we held a "Guess the number of keys?" booth where people guessed how many keyboard keys were in a bucket. The winner got a Ipod shuffle. The money was then donated to the Tsumia(sp?) relief fund.

From what it look, the only kind of donation you can give is money. Personally I would like to see if a relief fund gets created soley for the hurricane relied, because I am leary about donating to the red cross because your not sure if the money goes to hurricane victims.

The only thing I can think of is spread the word around campus and have a few donation spots where people can swing by and drop off a couple of bucks. Anyone else have any other ideas?
Brad Ty Nunnally
Former CAOS Hooligan

Ross Mead

I think a benefit event or donation booth is a great idea.  I like the idea of having something to give away, but I'd like to shoot for something other than an iPod Shuffle... ya' know, try and stay hip with the times! :-P  I'm thinkin' that it'd have to be around or under $100 if we plan on having anything of real benefit to the cause.  Let's throw around some ideas, and maybe look at some school-wide events that may be comin' up.  Maybe we can set up a booth during a larger campus event to get more participants involved.

On a side note, some friends and I have been thinking about getting a benefit concert going for the hurricane victims.  I got a call earlier today from a friend at Eastern and she's invited my band, Jinriksha Armata, to play a benefit concert somewhere around there on October 1st.  So if anyone from around here is interested in making the commute with us, making a donation, or would just like general information on the event and/or my band, please let me know... ;-)

Jerry

I would be happy to support any fund raising effort.

Here's a couple of ideas.

1. Donate $1 (or more) of each cheap lunch to a relief fund. Or maybe price cheap lunch so it is $x.01 and ask to donate the change. Or cheap lunch for a class (I would be willing to purchase cheap lunch for a CS class).

2. Used book sale. I would guess that all of the CS faculty could easily donate a dozen or more books - novels, sci-fi's, text books, interesting science books. Price them to move $0.25 to $3.00.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Ross Mead

Those are both really great ideas!  Could we do both?  Heck, we could do cheap lunch and then do a book sale out in the quad, or we could do both at the same time and place (i.e., at cheap lunch) since the books will probably be tech-related and will most likely to be bought by engineers.

Jerry

Let me know if you want to organize the book sale.

I'll help collect books from the faculty.

derrickb52

Brad Nunnally

Those are great ideas. I know I have some books I can part with. Plus, I know of someother people I can get some from. Thanks for all the ideas. I hope that if we can do this we do a really good job raising money, cause god knows they need it.

"'Tis not enough to help the feeble up, but to support them after."
William Shakespeare
Brad Ty Nunnally
Former CAOS Hooligan

Jerry

I suggest one of our officers ask Associate Dean Van Roekel to call a Joint Student Council meeting - the more people involved the easier it is to get sometihng to happen.