• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

New Forum Idea

Started by Tyler, 2005-09-14T15:28:16-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

I just had a random thought and I think it would be pretty sweet if the CS headlines could be integrated with the forum somehow turning it into a Slashdot type deal.  It would help keep the news fresh and the forum fresh.  Of course you could always just post a forum topic with a link to the story, but what fun would that be?
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

anguyen

I'm not sure what a Slashdot is but I have this idea...  We could intergrate the news or CS headlines into the forums by doing something like a news banner on the top of the forum web page or the bottom status bar of the web browser, sort like the CNN news banner...  Then if we catch something is inteteresting, we could click on that to go the according web site.  That way we could enjoy reading the forum while updating ourselves with the news... :-)

raptor

I'll give a thumbs up for the scrolling banner.

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Tyler

EvilAndrew

My 2 cents = I don't like scrolling banners because they are too busy.  I do that that it would be cool to have a news comments section.  I think that XOOPS (the software that powers this website) probably has a module for this.  

R. Andrew Lamonica

If you guys add a comments section that allows comments on the RSS Feed Data (a.k.a. Headlines) then I'll look into linking from the news stories on the CS Site to the appropriate comment thread.  

This should be easy from a technical perspective, but it might have policy implications that I would need to examine.

Tyler

I thought about that too.

We don't want some upset person to post some crazy stuff and then have Deans, Provosts, Chancellors, and prospective students see it.  

anguyen

Quotetfizzle wrote:
I thought about that too.

We don't want some upset person to post some crazy stuff and then have Deans, Provosts, Chancellors, and prospective students see it.  

I honestly do not worry about upset people posting some crazy stuffs.  First, these forums, I think, were created so that people could voice themselves freely, to exercise the right of free speech.  

Second, if we do not see those crazy stuffs, that does not deny their existence.  It is there, just that we are willing to blind ourselves, choose not to see it.  And those crazy people would not know what we really think.  Thus this situation would only futher promote misunderstanding and prejudice.

Third, those crazy people still have other avenues to post their opinions.  For example, they could write to newspapers, magazines, or other online websites.

Fourth, if those crazy people could voice themselves freely at the place of their concern, there would be a mutual benefit for for the community and those individuals.  Those people could learn about others' perspectives and we could also see from those people's point of view.  This would aid in the resolution of conflicts.  Things would change for the better if people have a much broader view of the situation or take views of other people into consideration.  This would also enhance the democratic process that has been a tradition of this great land of America.

Lastly, if the world see this going on at our university, e.g. propestive students, faculty, employers, etc., they would be positively impressed.  Propestive university students and faculty or staff know that they would have the chance to develop themselves, speak their opinions or ideas freely, and communicate and learn from others.  Propestive employers, funding agencies, etc. know that they will be working with openminded great people at SIUE.

Suppressing free speech or multilateral points of view sounds a lot like communism where I originally escaped to come to America for freedom.  I hope we will improve rather than step onto a declined slope of democracy, free speech, and human rights... things that people of the world and America have been fighting for.

William Grim

I'm not sure what all this talk about free speech is.  I mean, we do encourage it and all, but we are not a political organization involved in making sure SIUE and the students have a voice.

Not to dissuade you from speaking here, but I think you have a misconception about what our organization is.  CAOS is the Computer Association of SIUE, which is a chapter of the ACM (Association of Computing Machinery).  We are a special interest group involved in computers and technology; we are not involved in the political underpinnings of SIUE or its student body.

That being said, I don't really care if you want to post about SIUE politics here, but I think you should know who your audience is.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

anguyen

Hi Mike,

First, I would like to apologize for all misunderstanding that you might have regarding my post.  I know that your association is not a political association and mainly focusing on computer and technological interest.

I’m not a SIUe politician or trying to be one.  I’m a lowly Biology undergrad. one semester away from graduation.

The reason I have come here just because I got the idea of SIUe (this should be SIUE official logo now, rite?) web forum in a Critical Thinking course this summer.  I saw that people would like to speak out their opinions.  There were also many misunderstanding, misconception, or prejudice just because of the lack of communication.  A web forum is a very good way to help people to bridge the gaps among them.

I thought I was the first one with the idea.  Yet I found CAOS forum.  You guys already had a forum.  I thought that I could persuade you guys to share this place with the rest of SIUe students.  Remember the chance the university will approve a forum like this is very remote.

I also wrote to everybody (except SIUe students) who I thought had the power to bring this topic to the attention of students and the university, e.g. the Student Government, the Kimmel Leadership Center, the Alestle, many people of the university administration, and recently the Raise Your Voice association.  Yet all my effort has fallen on deaf ears.

So that is the reason why I came here to this forum.  I thought long and hard before joining it.  I saw that many topics here for discussion are philosophical and political.  So I thought that I could find someone here who would have similar idea to carry out the project.  After all, you guys are all SIUe students, ain’t it?

I carefully stay out of other sections and only post in the Lounge forum to not intentionally interfere with other CAOS business.

I’d like to say that I am not trying to preach or tell others to do this and that.  I apologize if someone thought I did.  I was just saying my opinion about free speech because I saw some were worried about being political correct while this forum could serve both sides of an issues.

I came from a place where you only could dream of freedom of speech.  I know you all know the value of free speech.  I’d like to say it so we could be reminded of sometimes.  

Mike, I value your opinion, yet I don’t think it is representative of all people of the audience here in this CAOS forum.  But if you guys all wanted to vote me off here, I would be gladly accepting it and out.  

One thing I'd like also say here is that this is my 2nd attempt to post this same message.  The 1st time somebody splashed me with a message that only appeared on the screen for 1/2 sec saying "you do not have the right to post here" :-?  when I hit the SUBMIT button and my message was deleted and I was logged out.  Who did it?  

Sincerely,
Anguyen

Bryan

Quotegrimw wrote:
I'm not sure what all this talk about free speech is.  I mean, we do encourage it and all, but we are not a political organization involved in making sure SIUE and the students have a voice.

Not to dissuade you from speaking here, but I think you have a misconception about what our organization is.  CAOS is the Computer Association of SIUE, which is a chapter of the ACM (Association of Computing Machinery).  We are a special interest group involved in computers and technology; we are not involved in the political underpinnings of SIUE or its student body.

That being said, I don't really care if you want to post about SIUE politics here, but I think you should know who your audience is.

Mike and I do not agree often, but this is going to be one of those times.  I'm a very big fan of "freedom" of speach and all, but I'm also well aware of the power of bureaucracy.  SIUE is not a democracy, student's don't have any more power than they want to give us.  Sure we have a student government that pushes issues on our behalf, but even their power is QUITE limited.  Remember, we're paying to be here.  I personally think CAOS is best kept under the radar of anyone more important than professors of SIUE.  In the blink of an eye any dean could say the word and we'd be shut down.  I honestly believe that.  OIT is already making a push to maintain control over all servers on campus.  At least that's the last word I heard before quitting there several months back.

We're not saying you shouldn't make posts about stuff that interests you (that's what the lounge is for), but the majority of people on this forum are computer people.  Don't be surprised if some of your posts simply fall on deaf ears.  We don't want you to leave, but just don't expect us to jump up and down and start a revolt agains the university.   Although if you do let me know ahead of time ;)
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Bryan

Quoteanguyen wrote:
Hi Mike,

One thing I'd like also say here is that this is my 2nd attempt to post this same message.  The 1st time somebody splashed me with a message that only appeared on the screen for 1/2 sec saying "you do not have the right to post here" :-?  when I hit the SUBMIT button and my message was deleted and I was logged out.  Who did it?  

Sincerely,
Anguyen

No one here would do that, and I'm not sure anyone even has that power.  Heck I'm an administrator and I don't know if I could figure out how to do it.

Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

anguyen

I did not know all that information you guys just gave me before.  I know that now...  Thanks for the information.  Now I see a much clearer view of the entire picture especially after my experience with the Student Government and many others, which I did not honestly have a slightest idea about before.

So I will try to be more careful with my future messages.  I sincerely do not want to cause you guys any trouble.

For the incident, it is real.  I feel very weird.  But it really happened this morning when I posted my previous message.

Thank you all again and I apologize for all the troubles I might have caused.