• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Jinriksha Playing Hurricane Benefit Show @ The Ground Floor

Started by Ross Mead, 2005-09-16T10:16:43-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Mead

...inserting shameless plug...

Hey all!  I just wanted to announce that my band, Jinriksha, will be playing a SWIC Choir/Hurricane Benefit show at The Ground Floor in Belleville tonight.  Things are kicking off around 7:30, and anyone 18+ is invited to come.  I think it's $5 to get in, but don't quote me on that.

We're playing with a R&B band, as well as professors from SWIC!  There may be more bands, but that's all I have confirmed.  We are closing the show, which will be a first for us!  We're excited!

It looks to be an good show for a good cause, so if you don't already have plans, call all your friends and be there, be there, BE THERE!!!

For more information, feel free to contact me at (618)-696-2600.  Thanx! :-D

... ending shameless plug...

Ross Mead

So for anyone who was interested in the show, we had a blast!  The place was at capacity, though the crowd was of a mixed age group.  You could tell who came to see who, and you could tell what decade most of the older crowd was from.  It was very interesting...

The R&B band, Breathe, was great both on stage and off, as we hung out with them for a few hours, had some great talks, and got some CD's.

The group of SWIC professors and students were simply amazing!  They pulled off a two hour set, playing a lot of the oldies, catering to the ears of most of the older people that were attending.  We were really intimidated to be following them, especially with our own material that may not go over well with some of the older crowd.

As for us, we played rather well... despite some technical difficulties...

For the first one-third of the set, anything (and I mean ANYTHING!!!) that could have gone wrong, went wrong.  From strings breaking on the first song, to bad volume levels, to bad wiring on a keyboard, to the drummer dropping a stick, to my amp losing it's effects processing loop!?!  And to top it off, my volume knob just FELL OFF my guitar, mid-song... I was COMPLETELY baffled at that point... I mean, seriously... someone must have really hated us... LOL!!! :-P

Despite all of these drawbacks, we came back and cranked out a killer last two-thirds of the set!  We even went back quite a few decades and played "Green Eyed Lady" for the older folk that managed to stick around (most of them had already left... it was about 11:30PM, i.e., past their bed time... :-P ).  The set ended, and, based on the crowd reaction, we really felt that they enjoyed the music.  As we were heading off stage, we heard the first, but hopefully not the last, occurance of a single word...

ENCORE!!!

We were freakin' out, and totally caught off-guard!  As we try to aim to please, we jumped back up on stage and played one more song that got a good reaction at our first show, and we hoped it would here -- 311's "Hydroponic"!  Though completely unexpected and completely unpracticed, we still managed to pull it off.  It was an awesome experience, and I look forward to future shows.

This was a benefit show for the Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund (separate donations could be made to the SWIC Choir).  The number was not announced last night as to how much was made, but from what we saw, it was a lot!  We are proud to say that, though we are merely local musicians that we can do just our small part to bring aid to those in need down in New Orleans.  We are also playing a Katrina benefit show up at Eastern on October 23.  With an expected crowd estimated at 1000-3000 people, we really hope that we can make a difference for the people down there.

That's my rant!  Thanx! :-D

Bryan

Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.