• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Query regarding smtp connections over SIUE-WIFI

Started by ProtagonistJ, 2005-09-22T14:00:52-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

ProtagonistJ

I'm using Outlook to check multiple email accounts (charter.net, siue.edu, gmail.com, sbcglobal.net, hotmail.com, etc.).  At home, via my 802.11g router, everything works like it should.  On campus, however, Outlook won't connect to any smtp server but gmail's.  

FYI: I use charter.net's smtp server to send siue.edu mail while I'm off campus.  

Now, I understand that SIUE's POP & SMTP servers are blocked to users on SIUE-WIFI.  Fine, sure, whatever; it's an annoyance but I somehow make do.  But both charter.net and sbcglobal.net's SMTP servers are blocked(?) too.  Does SIUE-WIFI just block all port 25 connections or what?  (gmail.com uses something like 567 instead, which would explain why it works just freakin’ fine, thank you)  

Now, I understand that wifi access on campus is a privilege and I'm not saying that they owe me access or anything (thousands of dollars in tuition money every semester notwithstanding).  It's just that if they're blocking ALL port 25 requests then the SIUE-WIFI logon/authentication screen should explicitly say that (it only mentions blocking SIUE's SMTP service), if only so I know that the problem isn’t on my end.  

Ideas?

Bryan

Actually SIUE isn't blocking them.  Both Charter and SBC block incoming SMTP connections from people that aren't on their network.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

raptor

Now Grubau,

If you still worked at OIT you'd have more up to date info LOL.  

For eveyone's information:  I just went over and talked to our email system administrator here on campus.  OIT blocks all traffic on port 25 (WiFi or otherwise) unless it goes through our smtp server, smtp.siue.edu.

If you have any questions you can call the helpdesk at x3739

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

William Grim

SIUE blocks all your outgoing connections to an off-campus port 25.  The reason gmail works is because it does not use port 25; instead, it uses another port for SSL (I don't recall which port).

For you to be able to send outbound mail from on-campus (unless the remote system has a gmail-like setup), then you need to pass your email through smtp.siue.edu.  This gives them the option to throttle you or perhaps more easily recognize when a host has been compromised and needs to be fixed.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

William Grim

William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

Grim,

We actually block port 25 because of virus trafficing.  I've actually got numbers on how many messages get slung around that are infected.  Remember all the hoax messages that went around trying to pose as SIUE staff.

Scott :bluescreen:
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

ProtagonistJ

Fair enough and thanks for all the answers guys.  Though I see the reasoning behind blocking all port 25 traffic I have to wonder why they don't block smtp.siue.edu by itself.  Seems kind of overkill to me to have such a (seemingly) over-arching response like that.  

Is it just that much easier to block all port 25 traffic than to specifically block smtp/pop.siue.edu?  Of course this way does give more control over the situation to OIT.  Or is it a liability issue?  How responsible, legally speaking, is an ISP in a case like this?  Just wondering.    

Regardless, thanks for the quick responses.

QuoteModernDayDarwin wrote:
Actually SIUE isn't blocking them.  Both Charter and SBC block incoming SMTP connections from people that aren't on their network.
ModernDayDarwin:
  FYI: I can connect (and send mail using) smtp.sbcglobal.net via charter's network.  I recently switched providers but my sbcglobal.net email stays up for 60(?) days.  So now I'm checking both so I don't accidentally miss anything.  Can't speak for smtp.charter.net on any other network, however, as I haven't had the opportunity to try it.  

Bryan

Quoteraptor wrote:
Now Grubau,

If you still worked at OIT you'd have more up to date info LOL.  

yes I would also have a miserable job, terrible pay, and the urge to kill myself at the thought of going into work...and THOSE are the high points :-)

I stand corrected, I guess they're blocking all SMTP connections.  As for the SBC thing I should have specified Charter, which will not allow you to send unless you're on their network.    At any rate though you're question has been answered and new schtuff learned
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.