• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

help with firefox!

Started by Shaun Martin, 2005-09-23T18:14:34-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun Martin

here's my problem.

i just recently purchased a new laptop and ive just recently switched over to using firefox as my default browser.  I was able to download Visual Studio .NET onto my desktop through IE however, after i received permission to download VS.NET again,i attempted to DL it through firefox and it did not work.  I went to download it on IE from my laptop and i still could not get it to work.  It would download about 50 kb of the file and then just stop.  Additionally, i tried to download winrar onto here and it does the same.  I've tried downloading videos from a game that i play using firefox and it works fine. someone have any solution for me?
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

Shaun Martin

ok, i upgraded firefox to 1.0.7 and i got winrar to download, however, still cant get VS.NET to work on firefox or IE now :-/
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni

R. Andrew Lamonica

Visual Studio is made by Microsoft. Since Microsoft does not want people to use FireFox they did not go to any great lengths to make ELMS (the MSDNAA download site) work with it.  

The 50kb file you downloaded is the downloader program.  When downloaded with FireFox it loses the â€Ã...“.EXEâ€Ã, from its file name so it is hard to tell that it is a program.  I have been told that adding the .EXE will allow this program to work, but you might just try using IE since I am sure Microsoft would rather that you use it to get free software from them.

P.S. you must run the downloader program to get VS.NET.  This program does more than just download, it also decrypts the software package.

Shaun Martin

i tried using IE and it just stops after about 313 kb and then just dies. :-/

please help, it'd be really nice to get this on my laptop.
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni

R. Andrew Lamonica

It sounds like you are just downloading the downloader and then giving up.  You need to download the downloader program (412kb .EXE file that FireFox gives no extension to).  Then you need to run it.

It should look like this:

The downloader grabs a 500MB setup.exe file then decrypts it using your one-time key.  After the decryption you need to run the Setup.exe file.

Shaun Martin

i fixed the problem.  there was something wrong with the security settings on my router.  i'm not that retarded to just  DL the downloader and then not run it.
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni

R. Andrew Lamonica

I never would have guessed that one.  In fact, I did not even know that people ran their own routers in the Residence Halls.  I just assumed that OIT did that kind of stuff for you guys.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  

It is interesting to note, however, that something e-Academy is doing on their download site seems to cause their downloader program to lose its (.EXE) extension when downloaded through FireFox.  This can be very confusing to some users.

Shaun Martin

well, we aren't supposed to have em, but alot of kids here use them.  i use it because i have a laptop and a desktop PC here.
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni