• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

professors and grading methods

Started by Bryan, 2005-09-30T08:30:59-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

Now, I'm not trying to slam any particular teacher, but I would like to hear some thoughts form other students on this.  During a recent major required course (though not CS) the professor gave exam #1.  When I got the exam back, I was a litle upset.  My grade was a 62/100.  Now, I'm not a good test taker, but that usually translates to B's instead of A's.  I was a little erked until I saw the spread for grades.

My 62 was only 10 points lower than the highest grade in the class and it was 6 points higher than the class average.

How can a professor give an exam and the class average is FAILING?

Now, I know students probably wouldn't have a clue but maybe some faculty readers can chime in on this question.  What happens to a professor if at the end of the semester he turns in a grade sheet inwhich the majority of the class has failed?  
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

bill corcoran

QuoteHow can a professor give an exam and the class average is FAILING?

In my experience this not all that uncommon.  The grades are usually redistributed by applying a "curve".  Suddenly the "failing" class average becomes simply the average - a C.

Then again, maybe you're just in a class of dummies, and you all deserve to fail.
-bill

raptor

I was in a class like that and the fialing grade became the average.  But in this case Bryan, I just think that some teacher finally found your true intelligence level.

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Tyler

I think that if the class average is failing, one of two things should happen.

1) A curve should be applied bring the average to a C.  This curve could either be done at the time, or at the end of the semester.

2) The teacher's ability to teach should be questioned.  If that teacher is unable to present material well enough so that the class can average grasping <60% of it, then maybe it's not being taught well enough or in the right way.

Just my opinion.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Ross Mead

I think that when a class averages a failing grade, most often than not it can be attributed to bad teaching.  Sure, an entire class can be lazy and not do their homework or just simply be dumb, but the chances of the entire class doing that is slim.  A teacher must make sure that the material is presented well and that the topics covered on the exam were, in fact, the topics covered in class.  A teacher needs to be willing to get feedback on how to improve the class, and thus you should speak up and let your opinions be known (in a nice way... ;-) ).  An exam that everyone fails is usually enough feedback to let a professor know that something is wrong and needs to be changed.  I think some professors ignore this need for change because it involves more work for them.  "Oh, I'll just apply a curve and everything will work out fine!"  Well, there is no curve in life.  I've always disagreed with the idea of curving a grade, namely because I think everyone is perfectly capable of getting an A+ in every class they take.  It's simply a matter of having the drive and/or the time to put the time into that class.

I think I know which class you're talkin' about Bryan, and if I'm right on it, I saw how much you were workin' on it and it seemed like you knew the material pretty well.  Like I said, I'd speak up and simply state your case regarding the exam.

... the other option is gathering a class-wide water-balloon attack on said teacher... just a thought... :-D

Nathan Mikeska

I know how ya feel.  I'm not used to getting 62% on exams either but thats what I got as well.  Personally I think the professor is just not very good at teaching.  Maybe he is but his teaching style just doesn't work for me.  As much as I'd like to blame him for this though, I can't really place all of the blame there.  I don't think the test was very well written but it still feels like I should have been able to do better on it.  The problems weren't really anything new or overly tricky.  I blame myself as much as the professor.  I guess that now I know that next time I'll have to put in a little more hard work and effort because I don't intendt to let it happen again.

I've also heard about or seen this happen a lot though.  Class fails, professor curves grade, everything works out.  I certainly don't like it but I guess its something we have to deal with from time to time.

CSMajor

I agree. If an entire class fails a test there is something wrong.  The teacher should do something to fix the problem.  However, I disagree when you say: "namely because I think everyone is perfectly capable of getting an A+ in every class they take."  Not everyone can muster enough mental strength up to get an A+.  Not getting an A+ does not mean they can not do a good job.  I think everyone can do a good job if they want to try.  I also feel this statement: "Well, there is no curve in life.", should really be elaborated upon in more detail in order for us to truly understand the point you are trying to make.

William Grim

Bryan, I think I know which professor you mean... I just took a test in another class that had the exact same situation.

However, I think the professor teaches quite well.  I just think he has horrible test-making skills.

Anyway, this particular professor does have a way to curve pretty nicely; though, that doesn't necessarily mean he shouldn't learn how to make better tests.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley