• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Senior Project Folders from Off-campus

Started by R. Andrew Lamonica, 2005-10-05T19:29:19-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

R. Andrew Lamonica

The most consistent complaint I receive from upperclassmen CS students is about the difficulty of reaching their campus storage from off-campus.  Because of our extensive use of Windows and OIT’s firewall, this task is needlessly difficult.  Many students, faculty, and staff use Linux to reach their files (instructions) but this requires knowledge and experience and in some cases (e.g. the Senior Project Folders) is rather hard.

To combat this problem, the CS Tech. Group is working on a new server that allows users to circumvent the firewall by using a web-based interface.  I admit that we are not done (see the TODO List) and that the system has some limitations (see the limitations list), but it may be of use to you so I am posting this link.

Remember this is an experiment.  Please let us know if you find any bugs.
http://shares.cs.siue.edu

TODO List:
1. Add more shares to the site.
2. Fix the user interface (There are some HCI problems)
3. Get money for and purchase a Site Certificate (we are using a homegrown one).
4. Load Test (I’m not sure how many people can use this at once).
5. Better Zip File support.

Limitations:
1. Only <8MB files may be uploaded.
2. Files must be uploaded one at a time.
3. Real slow showing directories with more than 500 files.

William Grim

Yeah, this is a good project.  I remember having to teach my senior project team how to use smbclient in order to upload our web files to the CS website from off-campus.  Hopefully this will help many CS students.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Bryan

I remember connecting to the senior projects folders from off campus.  While it was far from difficult it was (like many things in this world) needlessly complex for such a simple task.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

EvilAndrew

How did you do it?  Was it before the firewall or after?  Perhaps you could offer some pointers to those who want a more sophisticated and powerful technique

Bryan

I actually used two different methods.  Before I was told I could do it with SMBClient I actually tunneled through my workstation on campus.  Something most people couldn't do.  
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.