• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

ChicTech: Programming Competition for Women

Started by Jerry, 2005-11-03T08:46:00-06:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Win $1000 in Games for Girls Programming Competition

ChicTech, an outreach program of the University of Illinois’ Department of Computer Science, extends an open invitation for college women to participate in the second annual Games for Girls Programming Competition (G4G).  Applications must be submitted by December 23, 2005 and completed projects are due by March 13, 2006.

G4G was conceived in response to research indicating that boys enjoy a relatively greater degree of confidence with computers because they spend more time as children playing computer games. The research suggests that this difference in confidence contributes to the gender imbalance seen in the field of Computer Science.

Designed to encourage the development of computer games that appeal to middle- and high-school aged girls while fostering the development of communities of college women majoring in computer-related disciplines, G4G is a contest that invites teams of women to design and implement a computer game for younger girls.

The competition is sponsored by Microsoft Corporation. G4G will award each member of the winning team $1000. Other prizes will be presented to second and third place teams.

The winning entry will be a collaborative effort involving approximately four college women.  It will be created using GameMaker, a game design platform that supplies design flexibility and requires minimal programming. Projects will be evaluated on technical merit, entertainment value, and creativity.

The competition is open to all college women currently residing in the United States. Each student team must submit an on-line application by December 23, 2004. Visit the web site to complete an application:

http://g4g.cs.uiuc.edu.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Ross Mead

What are these -- "girls" -- that you speak of... ?  I've have long since left the Engineering Building and have not encountered one of these said -- "females".  How do I meet one?  I do so long to interact with one.  If a a nice, young "lady" were to perhaps read this post, please respond to this post with your 7-digit identification number (along with area code) as to schedule a meeting and partake in said interaction.

... okay, so I haven't slept and I'm a little giddy right now... :-D

... why do I feel like Bryan all of a sudden?

(That's two jabs at Bryan today... ouch!) :-P

Bryan

Just remember Ross: Steamboat is a big place and they may never find a body left on the dark side of the slope.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.