• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

CAOS Hackathon Almost Here

Started by William Grim, 2005-11-01T06:47:42-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

William Grim

Only 2 days are left before the CAOS Hackathon commencement.  Development manuals and CDs are close to completion for this event, but we still need more people (teams) to register.

To register a team, go here!
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

William Grim

I have been informed by Dr. Weinberg that the CS dept. can make a donation to the prize list.  They can give us a larger prize that can be used for the overall winners of the competition.  We can discuss this at the meeting, and I'll make sure I get full details from Dr. Weinberg before then.

Remember, the meeting is this Thursday at 4:30 PM in the EB Auditorium.
William Grim

Palash Mukhopadhyay

Hi
I downloaded the nethack thing...
I never played it b4....
I guess if I want to write code to create something new, I need to know all the basics of the game....
How are you guys thinking about solving this?....
Is there anyone like me in CAOS?.....
May be we can sit and play the game couple of times together to atleast get the idea how it works....lol...
Whats to you think?....
I think CAOS should organize a NetHack Gaming Session b4 they actually ask the groups to hack the code...
Thats it...

William Grim

NetHack is actually a pretty simple game to play, regardless of it having a lot of options.  I plan on giving a demonstration of how the game looks and feels, along with an outline of the major aspects of the code design.

NetHack's code, from what I have seen, is easy to follow.  The two worst things about it are the use of globals and the countless conditional compilations resulting from macro use.  However, the macro use is necessary in order to make NetHack cross-platform, but the macros should not affect most teams' ability to develop.  Most teams will be able to keep their code outside of conditional compilation sections, and I imagine some teams may not even develop code  anyway, instead opting to create maps, graphics, sounds, etc.

As for letting users play the game a couple times before holding a competition, I don't know how necessary that is.  I may find that it is in fact necessary, and next time I'll know this.  However, in my limited experience with programming competitions, it seems that motivated competitors can learn things quickly enough to remain competitive.  After all, other than a few people, no one will have much of an idea as to how NetHack works internally, thus leveling the playing field.
William Grim

William Grim

Tomorrow the CAOS Hackathon begins!

If you haven't registered but think you may want to take part in the competition or are just curious about what is happening, go ahead and show up to the meeting anway.

The currently registered teams and a few people after that will be able to get a printed development guide and Gnoppix Linux LiveCD with NetHack 3.4.2 source code loaded on it.  I will, however, be posting the development guide and Gnoppix CD to a website for download by teams that register on the day of the event.
William Grim

William Grim

Remember that today is the day of the CAOS Hackathon commencement!  It is in the EB Auditorium at 4:30 PM.
William Grim