• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Jinriksha Playing Benefit for Human Support Services @ The Ground Floor

Started by Ross Mead, 2005-11-04T01:45:10-06:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Mead

As is becoming my new ritual every other week, I am yet again posting regarding another show my band, Jinriksha, is playing.  This time we're playing at -- you guessed it -- The Ground Floor in Belleville!  As some of you may know, we're becoming quite the regulars there!  Hey, as long as they keep askin' us to play, we'll keep comin' back! :-D

Description
This is a benefit concert for human support services, so come out for a good time and for a good cause.  Entertaining you this evening will be the likes of Dana Franke, 42 Point Nothing, Isabelle, Trailer Park Travoltas, and your's truly, Jinriksha!

This is looking to be a great show, as we are also celebrating our own holiday, Blue Chair Day, which has returned for the third year in a row!  It's a holiday celebrated by our friends, but is always open to new-comers!  (For more details on our holiday extravaganza, contact me via the methods below.)

Specifics
This is an 18 and up show, with a $5 cover at the door.  The show starts at 8, and goes until we get off the stage (i.e., we're headlining)!  Last I heard, we're going on around 11:30ish, but it's a coffee shop (and bar), so staying up shouldn't be a problem for those of you that normally turn in early! :-P

Directions
To get there, get on 159 towards Fairview Heights and simply keep going until you get to the big circle drive in Belleville with the fountain in the middle.  Once you enter the circle drive, make a left, and you're there!  It's that easy!  You can't miss it! :-D

Contact
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them on here, e-mail me, or gimme' a call (618-696-2600).  You can also check out our Facebook Party or our Facebook Group.  Hey, it's free advertising! :-D

Also, t-shirts are now available for anyone who is interested ($10 S, M, L, XL; $12 XXL)!  They've been goin' fast (in a day!), so get them while they're hot!

Thanx for the support!  We really appreciate it! :punk:

Ross Mead

So... this was by far our most interesting and crazy show ever!  Where to begin...

Well, most of the bands showed up late, which put us way behind.  There were supposed to be five bands, but one of them hadn't showed up... at least, not until we were just about to go on!  The band showed up, and consisted completely of transvestites, which was quite a suprise for us (I'm not trying to offend anyone who's into that or anything, I'm simply stating that after talking to them on the phone prior to the show and then putting faces to the voices, we were suprised)!  Unfortunately for them, they showed up too late and were told by the club owner that they could not perform.  They stuck around for a while before we went on, and were very cool to talk to! :-)

As we began our set, I felt rather comfortable.  That is, until my string broke in our second song!  Mid-song, I had to jump off the stage and run to the back to try and re-string it, leaving the rest of the band clueless as to what was going on!  Once Duck (our singer) figured out what the problem was, he explained it to the crowd, but I jumped back out and asked the guys to keep playing.  The show must go on!  It took me two and a half songs to get the thing back in order, and in-between songs, I was totally surpised to hear chants of, "Bring back Ross!"  Having re-strung and tuned my guitar, I jumped back out on stage, mid-song, and was well met!  I mention this only because breaking a string on-stage is the single greatest fear of any musician (of a stringed instrument), and yet despite this setback, the band played on without missing a beat (even improvising to make up for lost parts without me)!  The crowd was incredibly supportive, and helped turn one of my greatest fears into one of the greatest feelings of my life! :-D

Due to time constraints (we didn't even go on until 12:15AM!), we got the red light half-way through our set, signaling that we had enough time for one more song (which sucked, because we still had 5 songs remaining!).  We played our closing song, and were met with chants for an encore!  However, in respecting the club, we chose not to, but instead went out to meet with the crowd.

For the first time ever, we had a merch table, which became quickly populated.  And for the first time ever, we had requests for autographs!  We autographed numerous t-shirts, as well as a body!  Let's just say that that's one thing I can chalk off my list of things I'd like to do before I die! ;-)

It was a truly an exciting night (and a long one... I was driving home as the sun was rising!).  Thanks to anyone who was able to join us!  This was a benefit show for disabled and troubled children, and we were told that we raised a few thousand dollars for the cause!  We currently don't have any shows scheduled in the near future in an effort to focus on new material, but I will keep everyone posted as things develop. :punk: