• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Post VS2005.

Started by Brad Nunnally, 2005-11-18T23:51:58-06:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Nunnally

Well, the night was pretty shaky but for those that couldn't make it I wanted to post about the stuff you might have missed.

Visual Studio 2005 on MSDNAA:
It is available to download now. You will have to go into the drop down menu to find it but it is there. Next semester professor will accept either VS03 or VS05 projects for their assignments. If you have any questions about the new studio please email me at siue.msa@gmail.com.

Programming Contest:
As of today the programming contest is live. If you would like to sign up for it I will acceapt your joining will next Saturday. Please send an email to siue.msa@gmail.com and I will send you the document you will need. Everything is explained in it.

Imagine Cup 2006:
This is an international contest. There are six invitational that make up the cup this year. Some don't even require a single line of code. Five of the six have grand prizes of $8,000 dollars. The sixth has an amazing $25,000 bucks. It begins in January and you can sign up now for it. Here is the link: Imagine Cup 2006

Important Sites:
Code 4 Fun: This website is where the bored programmers work for Microsoft put their pet projects. There are some really cool things here and more added each week. Very detailed walkthroughs and the code that is used.

Channel9: This website is a collection of application that people make using the visual studio. Each one shows you how to make the project.

Free Visual Studio 2005 Training: For a limited time Microsoft is letting you take free eLearning courses to learn VS05. This won't last long so take the opportunity while you can.

Keep an eye out for advertisement on a DirectX webcast I will be showing after the break. For anyone taking the Game Design course next semester this would be a good thing to watch.

If anyone ever has any comments or questions please email me at siue.msa@gmail.com.
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Ahmed

Sorry man, I couldnt make it despite really wanting to.  Such are the perils of living a vehicle-less life.

How big was the attendance ?

Brad Nunnally

Around 24 people attended. Fairly good turn out for the night before campus got locked down for the holiday break.
Brad Ty Nunnally
Former CAOS Hooligan

R. Andrew Lamonica

I think that 24 was an excellent turnout. Especially considering that any dorm residents probably had to vacate campus several hours before this event started.  I think that the give-aways and free pizza helped make up for any underclassman attendence problems.

NP-Complete

It seems that I heard that a certain student ambassador was trying to get XBOX 360's as the prize for the programming contest.  I'm wondering if anything was announced about this at the launch party.
"I have travelled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processings is a fad that won't last out the year."
- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice-Hall, 1957

Brad Nunnally

I have put the request in for one. As of today they haven't said no yet. Thats not to say they won't though. Right now I have 3 people signed up for the competition. I am shooting for a goal of ten, else I might have to cancel it and try for a better turn out next semester. With the 360, or even a regular Xbox, the best I can do is ask. It is up to MS if they send me one or not.
Brad Ty Nunnally
Former CAOS Hooligan