• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Ubuntu and Grub boot loader

Started by raptor, 2005-12-11T22:27:55-06:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

raptor

I recently installed Ubuntu on my slave drive and dual booted my machine (windows on primary, ubuntu on slave).  Ubuntu used the grub loader and set itself as the default OS.  I went into /etc to find the grub.conf configuration file to change this but it wasn't there.  Any advice?

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

William Grim

It's in /boot/grub/menu.lst.  `info grub` has full details.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

Once more an expert fixes a simple newbie question.
Thanks a bunch grim.

Scott
President of CAOS

DaleDoe

I've got another newbie question while we're on the subject of boot loaders.  I am dual-booting Win Server 2003 with Fedora Core 4.  I'm going to have to reinstall the Win2k3 'cause it caught something (I'm blaming that on my fiancee), which will overwrite Grub as my boot loader.  After it does this, how do I go back and reinstall Grub as my boot loader?
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

William Grim

You can use a Fedora Core 4 CD to "rescue boot" onto your hard drive's GNU/Linux install.  Once you do this, you can run the grub installation software to replace your MBR.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

grim you are the man.  I'll probably have some other questions for you soon, i'll probably jsut email you though.

scott
President of CAOS

DaleDoe

Yes, I figured I could do that.  I just didn't know how to install grub and hadn't gotten around to looking it up on my own.

Just in case someone else is looking for this information, what I did was in section 3.2 of this

8-)
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison