• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

$1500 parent paid-for computers in California

Started by Tyler, 2006-01-03T10:28:07-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

As a computer geek myself that had virtually no computer experience in my small private pre-highschool education, I feel oblidged to bring up this news story.

Supposedly, in California they are asking parents of schoolgoers to pay $500 a year for three years to cover computer costs. Full Story.

This begs the free education question.  We're supposed to be entitled to free education in America, aren't we?  I'm sure there are more than a few families that don't have $1500 just sitting around to pay for their child's education.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this?
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Jerry

Well, "free education" isn't $0.  There are school supplies like folders, paper, art supplies, possibly uniforms. And it has been awhile since I was in K-12, but I recall book rental fees too.

Now, if your child is in a "extra-curricular" activity, the cost really pile-up. If your child is in the marching band or color guard - wow - uniform cost, instrument, and travel costs are way more than $500 per year.

$500 is expensive, but I don't necessarily think it is out of line with the rest of the cost of public education.

On a related note, there is a NSF project at MIT to develop a $100 computer for K-12 education.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Matthew Thomas

So in addition to paper, pencils, backpack, etc. Johnny needs a $1500 notebook computer for school.

And this is a surprise because....? Let's face it, at some point in that kid's educational career, a computer is going to be used at the bare minimum for typing papers. (How many english classes do you remember where hand-written papers were not allowed? I know I remember a few.)

It does kind of surprise me that they are recoomending top of the line notebooks for their students, why back in my day, (gradeschool, and jr. high), we had Apple ][ GS's for our computer schoolin' and I'd like to think I turned out ok.

In all honesty, their plan does allow for a good refresh of technology, because the current students have current notebooks and as a side benefit, they get a notebook to use after they complete highschool, but the bigger question is why do they even need a personal one at all?

Ask just about any teacher at that educational level about what they *personally* think about computers, and they'll tell you they don't get them, and they hate them. Some are even afraid of them.

If they hate, don't get, or are afraid of computers, how much do you think kids are going to learn PRIOR TO COLLEGE about using computers from the teachers?

Probably not much.

All in all, I have mixed feelings about this.
 - Aside from writing papers, I have a hard time seeing a student needing a computer at this educational level.
 - On the other hand, they are going to need their own personal computer sometime, so just shut up and pay.

There, I've said my peace.

Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas

Tyler

I don't know much about California education, so I can only base my comments from schools here, but I bet that the students already know more about computers than the teachers.

From what I read into, I think the money is more so to help pay for upgrade/replacement of school computers than it is to expose children to computers and give them experience on them.  These kids have been raised on computers even more than us and probably have already been illegally downloading music and "adult material" for years.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005