• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Ok noticed an odd thing today.

Started by Brad Nunnally, 2006-06-16T11:12:31-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Nunnally

Has anyone ever noticed that Firefox renders websites created in Visual Studio 2005 better and resembles what you actually designed than IE? Cause at this point I am about to burn IE to the ground cause I make look something look great in FF and when I switch to IE I am horrified at what I see. Our own webmaster has even told me in the past that to design for Firefox and it should look the same in IE, well he is full of LIES!!!! :-x  :-P  :cry:
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Geoff Schreiber

It's almost impossible to design a site for one browser that will work in another without playing around with the CSS a bit and "tricking" the different box-models into working the same.

IE7 should catch up with CSS2, however CSS3 is pushing release now....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Schreiber
Project Engineer
FASTechnology Group

Bryan

designing for a FF is always a bad idea.  If for one reason, and one reason only:  market share.   The elitists and other such nonsense will argue that point, but the fact remains the same.  Any corporate company knows that if you want to design for the masses, you have to design for everyone.  That means making everything look right in IE as well as FF.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Geoff Schreiber

Problem is that's not true any longer - the corporate world is starting to see that they have more control through gecko based browsers... I don't think Brad meant he was designing for FF and FF alone - just that he was told if you make it work in FF, it will work in IE...  The truth of the matter is, if you make it work in FF, it will work in almost every browser except IE - which is still kicked into quirks mode very easily.  If you make it work in IE - it will likely not look correct in the rest of the browsers.

When I'm working on a website, I'm desiging it with FF as my test bed - but I also load it into IE and Opera to verify it's still looking the way I want it to.  Usually to completely "fix" IE, I end up using a stylesheet for IE only to correct box model issues and the world is right again.

These are last months statistics on Browser Usage from the W3C - 25.7% isn't 56.7%, but it's worth making a deal about...
IE7     IE6     IE5     Ffox     Moz     N     O
1.1%    56.7%    4.5%    25.7%    2.3%    0.3%    1.5%
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Schreiber
Project Engineer
FASTechnology Group

Justin Camerer

Quotebluedragon0583 wrote:
Our own webmaster has even told me in the past that to design for Firefox and it should look the same in IE, well he is full of LIES!!!!

I HOOOPPEEE you weren't talking about me when you said this, Brad. I know for sure that IE rarely renders any markup correctly.

If I said anything, it was probably along the lines of get everything to work in Firefox or another standards compliant browser, and then it will be easier to get things to render correctly in IE with different IE hacks to your CSS file, or by using conditional comments to serve IE a stylesheet of its own (which I like the best).

C'mon, Brad... You know me better than that :)
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?