• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Free Ring Tones for your Cellphone

Started by Tyler, 2006-02-06T10:47:37-06:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

This is repost from wired, but I thought that CAOS could appreciate special attention being paid to it.

Wired has a nice article  about how to create your own FREE ringtones from any MP3s you already have.

The most interesting point I find in there is that downloading ringtones often times costs more than downloading a whole song to your computer.  I have never downloaded a ring tone.  Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hate ringtones and just want a normal ring when someone calls.  But that's just me.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Peter Motyka

QuoteMaybe I'm in the minority, but I hate ringtones and just want a normal ring when someone calls. But that's just me.

I agree, music ringtones are rubbish fallout of the "music everywhere" fad.  Yay, how I love hearing clips of played out trash pop music via crap speakers throughout the day.

At this point, music ringtones are about as uber cool as having a presence on myspace.com ;)
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Bryan

I haven't taken my cell phone off vibrate for...oh..ever?
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

I do use vibrate a lot (man does that sound bad), but audible ringing does help.  For example, I set my phone on the counter at my apartment and it's much easier to know it's ringing with a ringtone.  Especially because that's my only phone.  I would say vibrate is one of the better cell phone innovations.  Now if they could just get clearer calls and longer battery life, they would really be cooking with gas.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005