• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Linux config for home network

Started by Guest, 2002-09-21T17:18:07-05:00 (Saturday)

Previous topic - Next topic

I was at the linux installfest and my network card was working fine, but now that I am at home under my own network it wont work at all. I have charter cable and a linksys cable/dsl router. I think it has to do with something like the host and domain names but im not sure. Got any ideas?

Peter Motyka

The setup we used at SIUE should be fine for your home network if you are using DHCP on your router?  You might need to define a static ip and gateway.  Let me know how your router is configured.

Perhaps you should renew your IP if you are using DHCP...

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

William Grim

Peter, I also remember you mentioning something about needing to restart the cable modem in order for it to reset itself and get a new IP for his Linux computer?

You might want to try the cable modem reset before you mess with static ips and junk.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

My router is configured to use DHCP. And i set the domain name to www.home.com. I tried reseting my cable modem. In the network config in linux dhcp is selected and my host name is Lbox and my domain name is www.home.com.

Kenny

William Grim

Hmm, I'm pretty much out of ideas considering I don't use cable modems.

Try running a "modprobe" and see if there are any network card drivers loaded.  Then, run "ifconfig" to see that your eth device(s) are picked up.

If everything is good up to that point, then try "dhclient" (there is another one sometimes used as well, but I can't remember the name of it).  You shouldn't have to worry about what domain name you choose as it won't mean anything unless people are trying to use a domain name to search for you down the road.

Other than that, I wouldn't know why your NIC wouldn't get a dynamic IP.  One last thing you could check is that "Plug and Play OS" is set to "No/Off" in your BIOS, as *nix doesn't like this AT ALL!

Hope this helps you out.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Peter Motyka

You may still need to renew your ip lease.  When you recieve an ip via the DHCP servers here on campus, they have a lease time of several weeks.  This being the case, your computer may be booting up and thinking it has an ip and not bother requesting a new one.  A good way to check this is, run ifconfig.  If you eth0 device will has a 146.163.* ip, then you need to renew.

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Ryan Lintker

That is a piece of advice that I could have used for the last two summers.  I had always thought that it was odd that I could never get to the SIUE webpages when I took my computer home.  Boy did I feel stupid when I figured that one out.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones