• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

RSS Feeds

Started by Michael Kennedy, 2002-09-24T12:30:40-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Kennedy

I looked at XOOPS' site, but didn't see this myself, but maybe you guys can find something I can't-

Does XOOPS have a module that creates RSS feeds?  They're simple files that are updated to show (for example) the newest posts to Slashdot, Wired, etc.  I'd love to see one available for CAOS's website as well.  That way when a new item is posted to any section it would appear in Trillian for convienience.

(Some of you might be more familiar with Klipfolio- exact same concept.)

If one does exist, it'd get my vote for being added.  If not, I'll write one in a week or so if they'll be some interest in it.  It should be an easy task to pull items from the DB and create a simple XML file.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Admin

Yeah, you can do that. It's already built into XOOPS. I think it's called the headlines module. You need to knw the address of the servers backend (A special link that has the news in a raw form to be compatible with other CMSs) to use it. I could open a CAOS Backend, but I don't know who would want to mirror our news.

why, did you want Slashdot news on the CAOS page?

Admin

Michael Kennedy

[img align=right]http://mkennedy.no-ip.com/trillian.jpg[/img] Not exactly (although that would be kinda cool).  The picture on the right probably explains a little more about what I'd like to do.  This way I can sit idly by at work and every 30 mins or so Trillian will pull the new RDF from caos.siue.edu and I'll see my messages.

If I'm completely alone in thinking this would be a cool addition you can just ignore the request.  :)  I know it's something that I would use, but I'm not sure if many other people would agree.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Admin

OIC, I don't know if we do enough news posts to have it update every half hour. We do what? Two or three news posts a week?

Admin

Michael Kennedy

Well, maybe we can modify it to also do forum posts as well...  That wouold be the most useful.  Maybe just new threads...  We could decide that later.  :)