• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Microsoft giving away macs

Started by raptor, 2006-02-21T09:23:31-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

raptor

Here is an interesting link..

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/

Aparently microsoft is giving away macbook pro's and ipods in a marketing effort. I can just picture Bill walking into the mac store scratching his head: "uhh... yeah...i need a few of those.."

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Bryan

It's a big marketing effort to push Office:mac  which is one of the few compelete office solutions for the mac.

Bill and Steve aren't nearly as hostile towards each other as everyone would like to think.  Heck they wouldn't be making Windows run on the new intel books if that were the case.  

Google on the other hand, now there's a hate hate relationship.  
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Brad Nunnally

After hearing all the rumors of the past week about mac's switching to the windows os i am not surpised by this. If anyone has been listening/watching TWiT or Diggnation there has been some talk on possible reasons for Mac to drop OS10 and switch to the windows os running in the background. They are guessing that the interface would still be very "Macish" but all the actual processing will be done with windows.

Ohh and Bryan, shouldn't you be busy at work!!! :-D
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Peter Motyka

QuoteAfter hearing all the rumors of the past week about mac's switching to the windows os i am not surpised by this.

I think Dvorak is on to something, but I'm skeptical at the same time.  OSX is one awesome operating system and I'd hate to see it die because with an Apple migration to Windows.  Well, it guess I'd be satisfied if Apple switched to Windows and released OSX into the OSS community!
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

raptor

I've heard these rumors also, but I highly doubt that mac will ditch OSX. First its a great OS and they've had nothing but an increasing market share.  Second, there has already been too much investment for i386 OSX.  Third,  Come on Mac... give up OSX, thats like tapping out.

Scott
President of CAOS

Brad Nunnally

News Article
Here is the Pc Mag article that started that debate.
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Peter Motyka

QuoteJohn C. Dvorak: The second was that the iPod lost its FireWire connector because the PC world was the new target audience.
This doesn't seem like an indication that Apple is moving toward Windows.  Firewire 400 has simply been marginalized by USB 2.0.  Yeah, Firewire 800 is around the corner, but what manufacturer wants to support two hardware interfaces, even if you do score some more throughput with the newer Firewire spec.  I think the slow death of Firewire can solely be attributed to advances in USB and its adoption across all major hardware platforms.
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

raptor

I must say I have to agree.  Though i think USB's dominance is due mostly to how generic it is, not superior speed
.  I've had a long held theory that soon enough most every device will be usb. And low and behold its the story, more and more you'll see fewer types of ports on a machine, but more usb ports.  New dells don't even ship with PS2 support.

And I believe firewire is dead wether they reach the 800's or not.  Its another beta max story where superior hardware doesn't make it because it simply isn't used by enough devices.

Scott
President of CAOS

Kaitlyn Schmidt

Quotefirewire is dead wether they reach the 800's or not. Its another beta max story where superior hardware doesn't make it because it simply isn't used by enough devices.

Sad but true...
Kaitlyn Schmidt
Senior, Computer Science
Former President of CAOS

raptor

Someone agrees with me, I must not be nuts.
Thanks a bunch, and yeah we need more ladies in the CS department, so keep it up and bring your friends ;)
President of CAOS