• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Good book for learning C#?

Started by Jonathan Birch, 2006-02-27T20:34:38-06:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan Birch

I've been given some homework to prepare me for my new position, and part of that involves me learning C# before the end of April. Can anyone recommend a good book on the language?

In particular, I would be interested in something designed to let people transition over from C++.

Ross Mead

I know our own web administrator, Justin Camerer, is a whiz at C#.  He may be able to point you in the right direction.  I'll try to get in touch with him and let him know to look for this post.  Good luck! :-)

Justin Camerer

QuoteQ-Bit wrote: ...Justin Camerer, is a whiz at C#...
Awwww, Ross, thats the nicest thing you've ever said about me.

Unfortunately I'm not sure of any great C# books. I think i learned C# from the MCAD study guide book. If you need some help, you can AIM me at iamjwc and ill try to see if i can help you find a book.
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?

rajiv

If you have VS 2005 installed , try the follwing default location for an excellent reference.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC#\Specifications\1033 .
The ..1.2.doc should breeze you through c#.net 1.1 and the ...2.0.doc covers c#.net2.0 . Key chapters are types, delegates , anonymous , generics ( similar to template), partial classes . "Protected internal" was new to me !
Deitel's book on C# is easy to understand if you are from a c++ background.
Hope that helps !

Cliff

CS550 uses (and it is my opinion that Dr. Stephen does a good job of choosing books):

Programming Microsoft .NET by Jeff Prosise (Microsoft Press)
ISBN: 0735613761

Programming C#, Third Edition by Jesse Liberty (O'Reilly)
ISBN: 0596004893

With C++ experience, C# will be easy to pick up.  You might find it more useful to start with .NET and learn C# as you go.

Bryan

QuoteCliff wrote:

With C++ experience, C# will be easy to pick up.  You might find it more useful to start with .NET and learn C# as you go.

considering that he just took a job at Microsoft, I think they deemed his .Net experience adequate  ;-)
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.