• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Pretty new here

Started by Bryan, 2006-03-02T19:21:08-06:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

Hey everyone... I'm just starting to get an idea of what CAOS is like. I filled out an application for what times I am available to attend the CAOS meetings, but I have yet to get a response from anyone. CAOS sounds like an exciting group, but I don't know enough about CAOS to really devote a good portion of my time to it. If anyone (or everyone) could give me an idea of life in CAOS or teach me some of the ropes of being a member of CAOS, I would appreciate it. This is my first post, so I've yet to modify my avatar and my signature to the way I want it. For now, however, this seems to be suiting for me. Feel free to reply to this post. Thanks.
"Life is a risk and death is a chance."

JR

CAOS tries to find a nice balance between tech education and tech entertainment by having guest speakers for presentations and walkthroughs but also have some fun with things like gaming sessions.

we basically consider everyone that has an avatar a 'member' but attendance is not quite as high at the meetings. this is why the survey (not application)emerged. the purpose of that survey  was to (1) get our name out to new students, (2) find out who is interested in participating and (3) what people want to see and do. we found that most of you are available after 6 on mon->wed (which is a VERY difficult time to reserve a room). so look for most of the small events (1 hr long) to happen at that time but the bigger stuff on friday nights. we also found that you are most interested in the SiGGRAPH presentation (which Dr. White is working on now), gaming sessions (overwhelmingly and expectedly, HALO), watching sci-fi movies and more.

as far as 'what it takes' to be a member...we really want your opinions/input and mostly your attendance at the meetings. they really are pretty cool and we are working on them happening more often. so, bring yourself and bring your friends (techies or not).

also, i remember when i first heard a/b CAOS and the only reason i didnt take part was because i was a novice w/computers and didnt want to feel in over my head. i really regret not going to meetings earlier because the group is comprised of novices and experts so EVERYONE is welcome!!

JR
Retired President of CAOS

Brad Nunnally

Welcome to the crazy and mostly disorganized world of CAOS, which i guess would fit the name fairly nicely. Justin already mentioned some of the things about CAOS so I won't repeat them. I orginally joined CAOS for the sole reason to be able to put it on my resume, but I have had a blast as a member. Hence why I decided to be one of its officers.

The best way you can be an active member is offer your opinion on things we can do. Spread the word about us, we cater to the entire school even though for the most part they don't even know we are here. Some of the finer details about is that we are a sponsered ACM Student Organization which makes us alittle more than the normal student orgainzation.

In addition to being the Vice-Pres. here I am also the school Microsoft Student Ambassador, which I hope that after my term is finally over CAOS and the MSA program will have a tight relationship. At this point I basically help plan out stuff and use CAOS to cut through red tape and Kimmel. CAOS sponsers all the event I do, which I have atleast two or three still to do this semester. I bring MS speakers to campus to discuss new MS products and developing software using MS products. I try to pick topics that even a novice can attend and walk away with an understanding of the topic.

Last month someone came and gave a talk about using ASP.NET 2.0 to build websites. I think everyone walked out there fairly confident that they could go home and make themselves a simple website.

CAOS is also a great place to come for help about lots of crap. I have learned more by talking to its members than I would have never joining. Everyone hear brings something unique to the table that anyone can learn from.

Welcome to CAOS and if you have friends that might be interested in joining send them a link to the website. Peace out.

Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Tyler

As a retired officer, I would say that a lot of CAOS is being active on the forum.  Don't hestitate to post new topics or to chime in on a reply to give your opinion.  

Believe it or not, at one time, I had no posts. :-D
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Bryan

and sometimes we wish that was still the case Tyler.

:-D
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

I knew someone would say something like that, and I had a hunch it would be you. :-P

But, over the last 6 months or so, you've really caught up to my number of posts.

On a completely different topic, congrats on the new place Bryan.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Bryan

you know you can always count on me to make the smart ass remark :-D

and thanks, I'm looking forward to it.  It's a nice 2 bedroom place in Westport.  It's just a (relatively long) walk to Trainwreck Saloon! :pint:  :drunk:
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.