• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

GatewayCHI Meeting: When HCI meets HIB (Human Information Behavior)

Started by Jerry, 2006-03-02T19:32:58-06:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Gateway CHI March 13 Meeting

(Note: SIUE is a corporate sponsor of GatewayCHI which allows all SIUE employees and students to attend for free)

Feature Presentation:
When CHI meets HIB (Human Information Behavior)

Presenter:
Dr. Sanda Erdelez, Associate Professor of Information Science, University of Missouri-Columbia

Dr. Sanda Erdelez’ education background is in information science and law. As a Fulbright scholar from Croatia, Dr. Erdelez received a Ph.D. in Information Transfer from the Syracuse University. She taught at University of Osijek (Croatia), Syracuse University, and University of Texas at Austin. Besides her academic work, Dr. Erdelez also worked as a business intelligence consultant to several upstate New York companies.

Dr. Erdelez' scholarly interest is in modeling human information behavior. She is particularly interested in users' information needs and uses in the context of electronic environments and specialized areas such as e-learning, e-governance, e-commerce, and legal informatics. Dr. Erdelez was a principal investigator in information user studies sponsored by SBC Communications, Dell Computing, and Texas Supreme Court. In her information user research Dr. Erdelez uses a unique framework for investigating users' information behavior that is based on the accidental discovery of information (information encountering).

In her talk, Dr. Erdelez will introduce the importance of human information behavior research to CHI audience.

Group Activity: â€Ã...“Our Own Odditiesâ€Ã,

HOW TO PLAY: What you can do is to keep your eyes wide open and a camera handy, take pictures of those awkward designs that have violated Human Factors and Usability principles in our lives--home, work, in the stores, on the road--you name it. Bring those pictures to our next meeting, give a short expert critique, and let us figure out what we can do to improve the design over a lot of laughs. You can also submit pictures via email to Maggie at jma3@slu.edu (no picture file larger than 1MB, please) before the meeting (no later than March 10 noon), so your submission of bad designs can be compiled with others’ into a PowerPoint presentation.

Date:  Monday, March 13, 2006
Time:   6:45 - 8:45pm (networking at 6:15pm)  
Location:   Edward Jones- North Campus (HWY 270 and Dorsett Road)

Building 141 Progress Parkway, Classroom 1
      Saint Louis, MO 63045

Directions: HWY 270 North and exit at Dorsett Road. Turn right (East) onto Dorsett, and turn right onto Progress Parkway. Building 141 is the third building on your right. Edward Jones-North Campus map (very self explanatory) is attached.  

Maggie Jiao Ma, Ph.D., AEP
Assistant Professor
Aviation Science, the Parks College
Saint Louis University
3450 Lindell Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63103
(Ph.)314 977 8408; (Fax) 314 977 8388

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

JR

Retired President of CAOS

Brad Nunnally

I also am planning on attending. If there are any students that wish to go I dont mind driving one or two people over there with me. Just let me know if you want to go. I am a regular at these meetings and I can atest for the information that is presented there.
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Bryan

Thanks for posting this Dr. Weinberg.

I'm actually an officer for GatewayCHI.  It's going to be a pretty interesting talk I think.  Edward Jones is also nice and easy to get to, though I'm sad I won't get to show off my office.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Bryan

and on a completely different topic, I'm listening to the song quoted in your profile atm.

Bryan Grubaugh

Jerry

Reminder and new & improved directions:

Date:  Monday, March 13, 2006
Time:   6:45 - 8:45pm (networking at 6:15pm)  
Location:   Edward Jones- North Campus (HWY 270 and Dorsett Road)

Building 141 Progress Parkway, Classroom 1
      Saint Louis, MO 63045

Directions:
  *  Take I-270 to Dorsett Road
  *  Take Dorsett Road heading EAST
  *  Turn RIGHT on Progress Parkway
  *  Turn RIGHT on the first street, American Industrial Drive
  *  The first building on your left (Building 141) has a circle driveway in front of bldg, so
     go to the next building entrance, turn LEFT into the parking lot behind the bldg.
  *  Park and proceed to the building entrance by the handicapped parking spots
     and the picnic tables.

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Bryan

Just a reminder to everyone that this is tonight.  Everyone is welcome and I hope some of decide to make the trip.
Bryan Grubaugh