• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

2005 Salary Survey

Started by Jerry, 2006-03-08T21:53:33-06:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Check out these interesting salary survey results (about half way down the page):
http://www.studypack.com/comp/

According to this survey, Python Programmers get paid higher on the average. However, only 13% of the people responding actually use Python. Hmmmm....

Full Survey results can be found here:
Software Development Magazine

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Bryan

This survey leaves out some critical data, like what they used as a basis for "average"  Did they just take everyone that responded and take the average?  are they basis it on any kind of time frame? With only 13% of people responding using python it could be that just the high paying people responded.

I personally prefer the more detailed survey's that talk about entry level, years of experience, management, education, etc.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Cliff

This is off topic, but...
Does anyone think it would be useful for SIUE to keep track of the salaries of recent graduates?  This information could be a valuable resource to those who are deciding which job to take.

The SIUE CDC posts  NACE national averages; however, information specific to recent SIUE graduates could be more useful to graduating students than national averages or salary calculators like salary.com, since recent SIUE graduates are more likely to have had similar education, working in the same geographic area, similar levels of work experience, etc.

Other universities publish general salary statistics of recent graduates, and it can be a helpful resource to students.

A voluntary and anonymous system of salary reporting could be implemented informally by a web script that will calculate averages or even CAOS anonymous posting.

Any thoughts on this?

Tyler

I think it would be a good idea.  As long as there's some sort of anonymity with it.  I don't want you guys (and girl) laughing at me.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Bryan

if it's anonymous, then yes that's a possibility.
Bryan Grubaugh

Kaitlyn Schmidt

I won't laugh too hard. Promise!  :-D
Though I do think a survey of recent graduates would be extremely helpful.  It will give us an idea of what to expect in the real world.  If possible it would be nice to know where they started working (company and location), salary, benefits, and hours worked per week.

Kaitlyn Schmidt
Senior, Computer Science
Former President of CAOS

John

I too would be very grateful if we could get a survey of graduates salary and such. Also, about python programmers being paid so much and so few report using it, the only place I have heard about it being used alot is within Google which would also account for the spike in salary. I dunno, though.
Thanks,
John

Bryan

The topic of salary is somewhat of a sensitive one in a lot of respects.  Some people don't want to say what they make just because they feel it's no ones business.  Other's don't want to cause arguments, and some just don't want anyone they work with finding out.  

I personally wouldn't post in the open because I work with another caos member, and former officer, that very well may read it.  Companies have strict rules about not revealing how much you make.

We could do a CAOS poll, and have them post anonmysouly their details that they want to be revealed other than the yearly amount that they make.
Bryan Grubaugh

Tyler

I kind of agree with Bryan that it is kind of a personal thing and many people don't like to share it.  I don't even tell my friends what I make.  

A poll would work, but I would question the integrity of the results.

Cliff

How about a scripted narrative format web form, where recent graduates could anonymously post as much or as little as they feel comfortable?  Each section could be optional.  

Information in a narrative format can be particularly useful.

The form could look like this, for example:
(The salary figures also could be compiled to provide average, median, max, and min statistics.)

* Describe the company you work for (company name, industry, size, location, etc.)
* What is your job title?
* Describe the work you perform (duties, programming languages, etc.)
* How long have you been working in this position?
* What was your work experience prior to this position?
* What is your salary/wage?
* Describe the benefits you receive (bonuses, stock options, vacation, 401k, insurance, tuition reimbursement, etc.)
* How many hours do you work?
* Part time or Full time?
* Educational level?

Bryan

Part of the problem with all of that Cliff, is that the information is way too detailed.  If i were to include the name of my company then almost everyone on the forums would know it was me.

The same holds true for my job title and the work that I do.  The only thing that would prevent this is if my coworker were to post here as well (also a graduate).  BUT, then I know what she makes and she knows what I make.

Personally I think this is a very sensative topic and along with recent conversations with Andrew, if we do one...they will be numbers only based.
Bryan Grubaugh

Peter Motyka

I can't help but ask...  Why is discussing salary such a sensitive and awkward topic?  Is everyone that afraid to disclose that they're underpaid?
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Tyler

I think money is always a sensitive topic for people.  I know people that don't like to reveal how much money they make because they're embarassed of how little they make, and I know people that don't like to reveal how much they make because it's so much and it can instill weird feelings sometimes between friends if somebody makes 2 or 3 times what someone else makes.

Cliff

QuotePart of the problem with all of that Cliff, is that the information is way too detailed.
What if the survey would leave it up to the participant how to answer each question?

For the following question...
* Describe the company you work for (company name, industry, size, location, etc.)

Here's an example of how someone could answer:
1) (leave it blank)
2) A software company.  (be as vague as they feel comfortable)
3) XYZ company in St. Louis, in the healthcare industry, 50 developers in my department... (give as many details as they feel comfortable)

Some people may not want to answer, and that's ok.  On the other hand, details of the job itself (specifically job duties) are an important part of the salary equation, and it shouldn't hurt to ask.  

What do you think?

John

How about a form that a user fills out, and only certain users are allowed to fill out so that we get accurate results, that will take down all the information listed above. Then, it would take the information about the job and display it as normal and take all the sensative data and put that into a different display altogether. It wouldn't display any results until it had approx. 4 or 5 other posts in it to ensure that the first users information isn't the only one displayed. That way it can all be submitted at the same time, but the job description won't include salary, benefits, etc. That would be found on a different part of the page unlinked to the user's job description. We would still get all the information we wanted while you could obtain the ananimity you desire.
Thanks,
John