• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Interesting Quote

Started by Bryan, 2006-03-15T13:53:30-06:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

EBGames posted their list of the top ten PC games, top ten console games, and top ten combined.  The #1 PC game and #2 overall was a game that comes with absolutely no copy protection.  When the game became very popular on the torrent sites the game compnay just sent polite emails requesting they take down the game.  No legal threat, no high horse, no nothing.  Most of the torrent sites complied and from there, they were done wiht it.  When an engineer for the game was asked he replied

QuoteI think the most effective way of increasing sales is probably to make games people want to buy. But I'm an engineer, not a marketer so what do I know?

I think the quote speaks for itself.

your thoughts?
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

This is unrelated and I do have a slanted opinion, but I think this quote applies also to the Music and Movie industry. They like to blame piracy for lower sales, tickets, etc.  While this very well may have something to do with "piracy", they never seem to consider the quality of products being produced.

I never listen to the radio.  Whenever I do, it's always the same crap that sounds just like the same crap put out last week.  I guess this has nothing to with lower CD sales?  Same with movies.

But hey, I'm no marketer.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

EvilAndrew

The movie industry has a different problem.  I believe that they made more money last year than the year before, and yet they say they are being hurt by piracy.  The reason they say this is because the decrease in theater attendance.  However, I believe that the decrease in theater attendance is caused by three factors other than piracy.

1. People can get good high-quality digital copies of movies (A.K.A. DVD’s) and watch them in the comfort of their own home on their good high-quality digital televisions. If the theaters are going to compete with the ability to pause when you need to go to the bathroom or want a snack they are going to need to offer better than a crowded room, an analog screen, and employees patrolling the aisle looking for pirates.

2. The prices at theaters are almost as high as buying a DVD.  If two people want to see a movie at the Edwardsville Showplace 12 once, it will cost them $16 if they want to buy a movie from Wal-mart it will cost them $15-$20.  People are willing to wait for the movie to come out on DVD if it give them more freedom and costs less.

3. As the interactive-entertainment generations become a larger percentage of the total population you should see a decline in movie revenues because playing video games, surfing the web, and all the other interactive activities out there take up people’s time.  Since there is only so much time in the week, somebody is going to lose patronage and that will be the companies with the least-appealing product.

If the movie industry wants to bring people back to the theaters then they need to make the experience better or the price lower.  However, I am not entirely sure that the movie industry cares where the money comes from (DVD’s or Theater attendance).  I think that they are just using decreased attendance as a way to show that pirates are hurting them.

Ross Mead

What's really interesting, in the case of the music industry, is that it actually increased artist popularity and profit (and actually, in most cases, it increases CD sales!).  However, the music industry throws a fit about it because that popularity and profit isn't being applied to things that they are making money off of!  They see the numbers increase in terms of concert attendance, and yet they may not see the same in CD sales.  Bands make a good profit off of shows, and the record companies don't see as much of a cut.  They want a piece of these increased numbers.  When people download songs, the music industry often states that "It's ripping the artist off!" or "It's not respecting the artist's music!"  Hey  :censored: , how much does the artist makes off that CD?  Yeah, they don't tell you that from that $10-$15 CD, the actual artist makes right around $0.99!  So what does this translate into?  The music company doesn't feel like their getting their share of the profit, hence the argument!

I think the quote is the accurate account of anyone who is truly deep within their respective field.  It shouldn't be about the money, but the product.  I'm sure that if some of these programmers had their say, everything would be free and open source!

QuoteI never listen to the radio. Whenever I do, it's always the same crap that sounds just like the same crap put out last week. I guess this has nothing to with lower CD sales?

I agree with you completely!

[plug] :-P
If you don't want to hear the "same crap", come check out my band, Jinriksha (download free live songs on MySpace)!  We're playin' this Sunday, March 19th (my 21st birthday... ), at the Rock Island, March 31st at Mississippi Nights, April 6th at the Stagger Inn, and April 20th at Three-1-Three.
[/plug] :-P