• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Programming Challenge

Started by Jonathan Birch, 2006-03-23T16:11:23-06:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

blacklee

QuoteI implemented two solutions. The first one ran in O(N^4) time and it took 6 of the maximum 10 seconds. So I tried again and made one that runs O(N^3). This ran in a small fraction of a second so it should be safe from the notorious re-judging that seems to kill efficient but not completely correct solutions.

How does the re-judging work? Do they run it with a different input? I didn't know they do it.

blacklee

I think I deleted one of my messages, sorry.  :-)

My solution ran 0:021 seconds, and I think it is a completely correct solution, but I'm not 100% sure.
QuoteYour C++ program has solved Ok the problem 108 (Maximum Sum) in 0.021 seconds with low memory spent.

Thanks for the hints, the problem really is easier than it first appears.

R. Andrew Lamonica

QuoteHow does the re-judging work? Do they run it with a different input? I didn't know they do it.
I am not sure exactly how re-judging works.  It seems a little hit-and-miss to me.  I have had programs that were correct get rejudged as wrong just to be rejudged as correct again a few days later without any action on my part.  

The one thing that I do know is that they keep a copy of each program you submit and then they re-run the judging every now and then.  

I suspect that this is to catch people who are sending the same result to different accounts and to find programs that were approved just because they ran on a fast processor and not because they were correct.

blacklee

So,if my solution is accepted, is it pretty safe to assume that it's completely correct? For example, do I need to test for maximum sum being only one cell; or the Judge tests with various input? I'm pretty sure the solution works, I'm just curious.

I'm also curious how other people get a better time. Is it because they have a more efficient algorithm? Is there a way to optimize my code without changing the algorithm?