• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Who says those engineering classes didn't pay off

Started by Bryan, 2006-03-26T10:42:01-06:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

For those that don't know, I recently moved to St. Louis.  I got an apartment not far from Westport off Page Ave.  While preparing for the move my boss offered me a refrigerator.  Knowing I already had one, I went ahead and took it anyway.   I present to you, the kegerator:

The suppplies.  I was  little worried if someone stopped by I was goign to be flagged for terrorism.  There's a lot of bomb making supplies involved in the process ironically enough.
<
Poor empty refrigerator.  I decided to go with a 1/6 barrel of Killians Irish Red.  They're taller and thinner than a standard 1/2 or 1/4 barrel so I can fit two in there if need be.  Room for expansion is always a plus.

The tapper and shank.  Different than a standard tapper as it needs to be able to stretch through a refrigerator door.

Fire it up.  Get the coupler hooked to the keg with the Co2 tank at about 8-10psi

Another view

A close up of the Co2 tank, it's a large tank weighing in at 10lbs.  I got larger so it can handle two kegs at once.

The keg

A fine irish beer we have here.  God what I would have killed ot have had this in on St. Pat's day.

Full frontal.  Complete with drip tray and tap handle and juuuuuust enough clearance to open the freezer (slight design flaw on my part)

Up close and personal

Dispensing with the amber goodness

That gentleman and ladies, is my kegerator.  I will be adding a 2nd tap and getting another beer line installed when I have the time (and money)
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Geoff Schreiber

Looks awesome - now you just need to buy some mugs/steins!:lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Schreiber
Project Engineer
FASTechnology Group

Bryan

oy I couldn't agree more.  Let's just say there exists a good reason I don't own a set yet, and it's not just because I havent' gone out to buy them.  :roll:
Bryan Grubaugh

Jerry

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Bryan

Yes, Dr. Weinberg..I'm still single.  Thank you OOOOOOOOOOOOH so much for pointing that out to me.

To quote Kaitlyn "Wow, he BURNED you"
Bryan Grubaugh

raptor

I must give dibs.  Not a drinker but still very nice.  Now if you could get and LCD display on the thing....

:beer: Scott :beer:
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Ross Mead

Wow Bryan!  They must not be workin' you hard enough at Perficient! :-P  Like raptor, I too am a non-drinker; however, I definitely will give you mad props to a job well done.

Cheers!

:pint:  (w00t beer)

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

Bryan

Raptor, the plan is to eventually install a bar monkey into the freezer.  You walk up and press some buttons on an LCD dispaly built into the freezer, then it automatically dispenses it from another tap in the front of the fridge.  Howver due to the complexities, this project is a very VERY long term goal and a collaboration between myself, a couple of EE friends, and some mechanical enginers.
Bryan Grubaugh

DaleDoe

Eh, my dad did that years ago and he is no engineer.  He's just a heavy drinker :pint:.  He used the full-size kegs.

Unfortunately, he sold it when I was probably 9 years old.  Wish he'd have kept it around for a decade longer :drunk:.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Bryan

He made a kegerator or a bar monkey?  The kegerator was pretty simple, the bar monkey is a little bit (read: crap load) more complex.  Getting it so it sucks liqour out of a bottle, dispenses it in the right proportions, mixes it properly, etc, etc.  Then interfacing it with a touch screen LCD..whole other bag of tricks.

If he did htat 9 years ago, then I'm thoroughly impressed.
Bryan Grubaugh

DaleDoe

He just made a "kegerator" probably over 20 years ago (some of my earliest memories of him involve that thing).  I can date it back to at least 1989.

Dad only drinks beer, so a bar monkey would not have interested him at all.  He just wanted cheap, cold beer :pint:.  The fact that it was draft beer was just a bonus :-D.  As far as the mixed drinks, a bar monkey doesn't make them any cheaper, colder, better, does it?  It's a neat toy, but I'll stick to mixing my own for now 8-).
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Bryan

too true, and sometimes having a toy to play with is worth it!
Bryan Grubaugh

brickboy

I dont know if anyone here is aware of it, but one of the groups in my ECE senior design class is making a bar monkey for their project.  I thought they had an original idea, but I guess its been done quite a few times before.  Anyway, Im not sure when presentations are but I'm guessing they are the week before finals so I encourage everyone interested in this topic to attend and see what the finished product looks like.

brickboy

I dont know if anyone here is aware of it, but one of the groups in my ECE senior design class is making a bar monkey for their project.  I thought they had an original idea, but I guess its been done quite a few times before.  Anyway, Im not sure when presentations are but I'm guessing they are the week before finals so I encourage everyone interested in this topic to attend and see what the finished product looks like.