• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Summer Elective - CMIS 460 Advanced Visual Basic (Database)

Started by Jerry, 2006-04-03T11:51:29-05:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Dr. Bock in CMIS wanted me to let CS students know about his summer course in VB and Databases.

This course will be treated as a CS 390 - counts as elective credit for all CS minors.
------------------------------------------------------

Summer 2006 Course Offering

CMIS 460:  Advanced Visual Basic (Database)

Instructor:  Douglas Bock, Ph.D., Microsoft Certified Solution Developer.NET

Time:  6:00 pm to 10:20 pm on Thursday evenings (11 weeks).

Prerequisite:  Any introductory course in Visual Basic

Description:  The course will focus on database programming with Visual Basic.  A large component of the course will use VB to do ASP programming (Active Server Pages 2.0) database programming â€ââ,¬Å" learn to program applications that execute in a Web environment.  The programs will interface with both Oracle (10g) and SQL Server 2005 databases for a secure environment.  No previous experience with ASP programming is required.  Generally the last one to two hours of each class session will be devoted to hands-on lab assignments.  Extensive in-class exercises are used during every class session.

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Bryan

just a bit of advice for anyone considering this course.  If you had CS275 with Dr. White, this course won't do you much good unless you're afraid of learning web languages on your own.

I say Dr. White only becuase I'm not sure to what detail the rest of the professors teach this course.  I toiled through Dr. White's class and it made the above class somewhat...trivial.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.