• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

am i just a jerk?

Started by JR, 2006-04-11T21:47:39-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

am i the only one that is picky on who uses their computer or does anyone else twitch when they see a 'non-techie' on their pc?

its not so much when an aqcquaintance or friend is just checking their email real quick but when someone uses your pc when you arent there.  i think i just realize how little the general public knows a/b computers (let alone computer-care) and i dont want anyone screwing up something i know is clean.

JR
Retired President of CAOS

Tyler

I used to be big into modding.  That combined with my normal paranoia was pretty bad.  My roommates knew NOT to touch my computer(s).  I don't think you're being a jerk at all.  I don't think it's any different than when car people are really paranoid about scratching their leather.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Bryan

If you're a jerk, I'm a bigger jerk.  I can't stand anyone touching my PC.  Not for any reason, what so ever.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

raptor

I will join the club,  my younger brothers call me at work to ask if they can even get on to check like a website.

HA
Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

JR

ok, well when i leave my pc for a while, i do 'switch user' so that you need a password to get in but it doenst close my apps.  this also lets me know if someone gets in there [a couple ppl know my password] b/c i know they dont know to do 'switch user'  anyway, one day, i guess someone logged on and tried to put it back to where it was by logging me off which closed all my apps including my program i was working on in .NET.  i then clanged my password and posted this
Retired President of CAOS

John

I am as well a "jerk." I can't stand other people messing with my computer except my immediate family so much so that I traded in my decent desktop for a slightly less powerful laptop just so I could take it home, and my roomates couldn't even be around it when I wasn't. They also have a tendancy of getting on each others computers and changing their passwords and such so please don't think I am a total "jerk".
Thanks,
John

Ross Mead

Yeah, I'm definitely in the same boat as everyone else in this thread.  I'm really particular about organization on my desktop (window and icon positions, number of windows open, etc.), and I often even am aware of the last position my mouse cursor was in before I leave the computer (yes, this is one of my security measures to see if someone has been on my computer!).  I always lock the computer when I step away from it, and I don't allow guest users.  Hmm,... am I the only one that will make up a lame excuse when someone asks to use the computer?  **shrugz**  Anyways, I wouldn't necessarilly consider myself a "jerk" for being protective of my computer, and I don't think anyone else should consider themselves a jerk for this reason.

Shaun Martin

I'm in the same boat as everyone else.  Usually when I let someone use my computer, I'm monitoring them over their shoulder to make sure they don't mess anything up.

Look at that, a post with substance.  :-D
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

raptor

President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Kaitlyn Schmidt

Naw, your not a jerk. ;-)  Just a little compulsive. :-P  Just kidding.  I guy at work used my computer the other day and I kinda flipped out.  Looking back the whole thing was funny but at the time I could have killed him.
Kaitlyn Schmidt
Senior, Computer Science
Former President of CAOS

Jerry

Wow!

I can imagine all of your pre-nups:

"The event of my spouse logging-on, touching, or powering-up my computer without my given consent will be necessary and sufficient grounds for dissolving the marriage. Furthermore they will not be eligible for alimony to exceed the cost of one cup of Starbucks grande latte per month."

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Devon Berry

:lol: I hope they don't drink much coffee!

I don't really mind people using my computer, but that is probably because all of my friends and family are generally careful not to mess it up. I do understand, though. I have a thing about having my desktop icons arranged in a certain way, a way which cannot be created by using "Arrange Icons By...". There have been a few cases where my friends have messed up my arrangement and it did bother me, but it doesn't happen often, so I still allow them to use it.

Bryan

I keep my desktop completely clean save the "My Computer", "My Network Places", "Recycle Bin", and "My Documents" icons.  The only other reasons there is stuff on my desktop is if large downloads are bieng done (everything gets downloaded to the desktop until moved to it's proper place), it's a new file I created (right click->new) and I'm currently working with it, or it's something that was just installed and I'd yet to delete it.

Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Brad Nunnally

Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan