• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Google Calendar

Started by EvilAndrew, 2006-04-13T01:25:58-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilAndrew

I just started using Google Calendar and it is really cool.

Where is it: http://www.google.com/calendar

Cool Features:
1. MS Outlook-like interface.  With my favorite view (week-at-a-time)
2. Event reminders are available via e-mail or Cellular phone text-message.  
3. Integrates with g-mail and Google maps.
4. Allows for public/private calendar access and even multiple calendars.  You can even see your friend’s calendars as long as they have an iCal stream.
5. Comment section for events so that you can invite both people to and their criticisms on your event. ;)
6. The Google search on your events has a nice results page.

Needs Work:
1. Adding a recurring event seems has an interface bug related to putting a stop-date on the event.  In IE 6, when you click to set the date and the textbox gets lost under the date viewer.  Then the date viewer does not work correctly.
2. You can give other people access to your public calendar via iCal XML stream, but they have to have an iCal reader to see the calendar.  This reader could be google Calendars but only if they have setup a g-mail account with calendar access.  There does not seem to be a â€Ã...“public viewâ€Ã, for calendars yet.
3. You can use your g-mail contact list for some things but not others.  For example, you cannot say â€Ã...“Joe’s Houseâ€Ã, or auto-complete Joe’s address in the â€Ã...“Whereâ€Ã, field.

Matthew Thomas

I never did see an area where you could import your existing calendars, or publish them from an iCal - compatible application ala webDAV style.... did I miss something?
Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas

R. Andrew Lamonica

I did not see anything about WebDAV, but if your current calendar has an iCal HTTP address then you can add it by clicking.

"Other Calendars"->"Public Calendar Address" then typeing the address into the box.

If you don't have an HTTP address for the calendar then you can upload an iCal file (or other type) to the "Other Calendars"->"Import Calendar" page.

P.S. For those who do not know, WebDAV is a superset of HTTP that allows file browsing (or file system mounting) of websites.  It is cool, but not widely used.  Some versioning systems use it to allow public access to their databases.