• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Female Robot

Started by Ross Mead, 2006-04-16T15:08:10-05:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Mead

Ahh, yet another cool video on YouTube:

Female Robot

Wow, if she were a bit taller, she'd be the perfect girlfriend!  Good looks,... doesn't talk back,... :-P

Heck, she might even give ModernDayDarwin a chance (probably not autonomously, but rather through some sort of human-robot teleoperation interface)! :-P

... J/K! ;-)  (I can see me takin' some serious slack for this one...  :-P )

On a more serious note, I did refer to the robot as a she.  What are your thoughts on applying gender (and its corresponding terminology) to robots?  We often say it, as opposed to he or she; at what point to we start evaluating political correctness when referring to a machine?

William Grim

I'd only refer to a machine with a gender if it displayed any sense of caring that it be referred as a he/she (I may not even do it then, since it actually has no sex anyway).  However, since machines don't do that, "it" is fine.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Bryan

You better watch it Ross, you're already in trouble for interuppting my date the other night.  Now I have to smack you upside the head two fold.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

Speaking of political correctness with gender shes and hes, I think about boats and planes.

Historically, there have been male captains and they have referred to the boats and planes as "she".
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

JR

that is definitely a SHE and SHE is HOT !

hah
JR
Retired President of CAOS

Brad Nunnally

QuoteModernDayDarwin wrote:
You better watch it Ross, you're already in trouble for interuppting my date the other night.  Now I have to smack you upside the head two fold.

Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

blacklee

QuoteI'd only refer to a machine with a gender if it displayed any sense of caring that it be referred as a he/she (I may not even do it then, since it actually has no sex anyway). However, since machines don't do that, "it" is fine.

wgrim, this particular machine has parts that would qualify it as a female, I think.  :innocent:  :oops:

BTW, is there a way to change my user name?