• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

interesting article on linux snobs

Started by Bryan, 2006-04-19T09:16:15-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

If you read /. then you propbably saw this.  If not, here's an interesting article on one barrier no one wants to think about.  The human one.

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml

Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

John

I began the newbie Linux adventure about 5 years ago and have been scarred by this exact problem. I no longer ask questions in forums and will rarely voyage to an ICQ channel for a quick question that I will have carefully thought out to seem as logical as possible as to avoid a "guru" tirade.

Not only do I fully sympathize with what this person is saying, but I think it should be taken a step further. A much better help system should be implemented within Linux. There are thousands of manpages that could be linked within a program to provide a very graphical and, most importantly, very logical pathway for people to find answers to questions both of the newbie and "guru" varieties. Linux has so many capabilities, but I believe that this issue could be one of the major problems holding Linux back.
Thanks,
John

Bryan

I have slowly learned linux over the past 4 or 5 years.  I'm far from a veteran user and sometimes the simple stuff still catches me.  I much prefer using windows, but if I were forced to use the system on a daily basis I would probably manage just fine...as long as it's not in any kind of adminstrative position.

Regardless I have a lot of people to thank for not screaming at me for asking the same questions repeatedly over the years.  At the same time I know there's those that should never be allowed on any kind of medium that allows communications with newbies.

I have a sound theory that people that act like that have serious issues.  They are lacking something in their life that they make up for by feeling high and mighty on the internet.  Maybe it's lack of parent love, or lack of social interaction from taking all the time to learn linux, who knows.  

I should note that this happens with any topic, linux is just the instance we're talking about now.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.