• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

New CS Elective for Fall: Bioinformatics

Started by Jerry, 2006-04-20T22:42:25-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Bioinformatics: An introduction to bioinformatics algorithms
CS 490-003/CS 590-003
TR 2-3:15
Instructor: Dr. Dennis Bouvier

The objective of this course is to exposure students to the broad range of algorithms in various computational sciences application areas such as bioinformatics and scientific computing.

The focus is on applications involving many of the new algorithms from bioinformatics and Web searching as well as traditional ones such as dynamical systems, demographics, and economic models.

Topics include:
â€Ã,¢ Introduction: What a modern biologist ought to know about computer science. Presenting both the foundation of algorithms and important results in bioinformatics.
â€Ã,¢ Molecular Biology Primer: A brief introduction to biology that covers most of the computational concepts discussed in bioinformatics.
â€Ã,¢ Dynamic Programming Algorithms: Provides a framework for understanding DNA sequence comparison algorithms
â€Ã,¢ Divide-and-Conquer Algorithms
â€Ã,¢ Graph Algorithms: applications as DNA sequencing and protein identification
â€Ã,¢ Combinatorial Pattern Matching: Develop a number of ways to make pattern matching in a long sequence
â€Ã,¢ Clustering and Trees: A common problem is to partition a set of experimental data into groups in such a way that the data points within the same cluster are highly similar while data points in different clus-ters are very different.

â€Ã,¢ Textbook:  An Introduction to Bioinformatics Algorithms, Neil Jones & Pavel Pevzner, MIT Press, 2004.

â€Ã,¢ Prerequisite: CS 340
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

blacklee

Is CS340 the only prerequisite?
How much biology/chemistry knowledge is required for someone interested in this field?

Jerry

Quoteblacklee wrote:
Is CS340 the only prerequisite?
How much biology/chemistry knowledge is required for someone interested in this field?

CS 340 is the prerequisite for the course.

I suspect that science such as macro- and micro-biology are prerequisite for a career in the field. However, I'm not familiar with the requirements for entry jobs in the field.

Dr. Bouvier is teaching the course. I suggest taking the course and fining out what it takes to get a job in bioinformatics.

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

blacklee

Thank you Jerry. I'm taking 340 this fall, after that I would definitely take this class as my elective if it is still available.

blacklee

Will this class be offered again?

A related discussion on Yahoo answers. Michael Crichton asks: What will be the biggest benefit for human beings from mapping the human genome?

What do you think? Would be nice if reversing the aging process was really possible. Just think about it - forever young.   :-)

William Grim

I like the thought of dying some day.  If I never had to worry about death, I'd postpone doing most things and would never end up doing them.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

blacklee

Ha, Mike, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who postpones everything. I'm the worst procrastinator ever. I'm working on getting better though... really.  Speaking of it, I better get back to studying for finals.  :-)