• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Computer Startup Problems

Started by Ryan Lintker, 2002-11-02T00:06:08-06:00 (Saturday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Lintker

My own testing has narrowed the problem down to the processor or motherboard.  With some help from my roommate, we managed to get it to run again.  This came after putting a bigger better fan on my cpu.  The running was accompanied by some nasty whining that would vary as the processor load would vary.  There was also a smell of hot electronic parts in the air.  Could a damaged processor make parts of the motherboard whine?
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

Fred Jones

this was said prior but the failsafe on the bios as far as the temp is concerned may be still a prob.. whats the temp of the room your in...a friend of mine use to keep his computer in a room that was really hot in the summer and he had alot of problems like yours until he set the bios temp differently ....  i had a problem once with an old CRT monitor that made my case carry a slight charge ...as in electrical shock type stuff... i doubt you are getting that kind of fun but i would not send it to someone else toplay with it for money like that... plus sometimes the answer never comes about and the computer starts running anyway..
good luck

Ryan Lintker

Well, I put in a new motherboard and cpu.  She purrs like a kitten now.  It was really painless.  I put it in, hooked everything up, turned it on, and windows started up.  It detected hardware, made it's changes, rebooted, and has been running great since.  And it was all just a couple of dollars more than what computer renaissance would have charged me for a visit.  Further inspection of the motherboard after I pulled it out revealed some sooty substance oozing out of a few capacitors next to the processor.  I think that's a good sign that the mobo is hurting.  My question now is if my processor is shot as well?

Thanks to everyone that took the time to help me out.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

Chris Swingler

Oooh.  Leaky capacitors.  Fun stuff.  It happens, especially on cheap boards (and it's not unheard of on good boards)  I'd guess, though, that your CPU is safe.

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator