• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Don't Leave Your Burned CD's in Plain Sight

Started by Ross Mead, 2006-06-05T15:16:28-05:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Mead

I'm sure some of you already saw this link on Digg, but I thought it would be worth pointing out:

Driver's Car Searched Due to Suspicion of Home-made Pirate Cd's Seen in Car

I have plenty of burned CD's, and often they are sitting in plain site in my car.  Similarly, I try place them in slimline cases (obviously for CD protection) as referred to in the article.  I'm sure I'm not the only one "guilty" of this.  And yet, the police feel that seeing this is just cause for them to search a vehicle?  While I, in fact, have nothing to hide, it still makes me uneasy to know that they could do such a thing.  I'm not a big fan of cops (or most authority figures for that manner...  :-P ), and I'm sure I'd get in more trouble than it's worth if I were to speak up.  Anyways, yeah, this just kinda' bugged me and I was wondering how anyone else felt.  Any thoughts?

Matthew Thomas

Let's not forget that that CD's weren't the only suspicious thing in this incident

- He was pulled over for something wrong with his car
- The car did not belong to him
- There was a gun in the passenger's seat
- A wad of cash was under the seat right next to...
- A bag of Marijuana!

I'm sure we're not hearing the whole story; This guy could have been acting squirley the whole time and with the presence of a gun in the front seat, (ignoring the issue of if it is legal to have it there or not) it is not a far stretch to see how the officer had probable cause to search the car.
Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas

Ross Mead

I agree that there are many suspicious circumstances.  However, the reason given was regarding the CD's.  Additionally, the problems listed are not necessarily reason to search a vehicle.

- An "equipment violation" (as stated in the article) is not a reason to search one's car.  It is simply noted, and often results in a warning (from personal experience).
- A car that does not belong to the driver is also not reason to search a vehicle.  If the car has been reported stolen, then that's another story...
- The gun was in clear view for a reason; the driver himself noted it to the officer.  You are (unfortunately, as I hate weapons) allowed to have personal firearms as long as you have a permit.
- The wad of cash was found during the search, and thus was not at all a reason for the search itself.
- Ditto for the bag of marijuana...

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be considered a criminal, but rather that the methods of the police could be considered an unjust act as well.  This is starting to sound like a question of "Do the ends justify the means?"  Ehh, just a thought.  Thanx for the input Matthew! :-)

Matthew Thomas

Jack Bauer says "The ends always justify the means!"

;-)
Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas

Kaitlyn Schmidt

I'm with Ross on this one.  It just doesn't seem right.  Of course I'm terrified of the police so I really don't like anything they do...
Kaitlyn Schmidt
Senior, Computer Science
Former President of CAOS