• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Why I became a computer scientist videos

Started by Jerry, 2006-06-08T14:16:29-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Here are some videos created to recruit students into computer science:
Recruitment Videos

So, if we played these in CS 111 do you think it would convince anyone to become CS majors?

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Brad Nunnally

Question: Any think it is odd that all the videos star women as the student saying why they got into CS? I a tempted to call bullsheet on this. Looks like some drama kids got a little $$$$ to act like CS students. :-D

P.S. Mainly Kidding for those female posters.
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Ross Mead

Is it too late for me to drop the major? :roll:

... :-P

QuoteAny think it is odd that all the videos star women as the student saying why they got into CS?

I was thinking the same thing, but decided to keep my yapper shut! :-P

On a side note, Brad, I noticed that you left out quite a few words and letters in your post... ya' been kickin' back on grandpa's old cough medicine or somethin'... ? :pint:

(Mike in reference to Erin in the video):

QuoteThis one especially... she's hot...

Sorry Mike... :-D

William Grim

William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

blacklee

Maybe the videos are designed to bring more girls into CS. I did notice the females with CS major are underrepresented here at SIUE. :-) I like the videos, and I think it's a good idea to play them for freshmen. If nothing else, it may help to break some stereotypes about majority of jobs in CS field in real life after graduation.

Brad Nunnally

QuoteOn a side note, Brad, I noticed that you left out quite a few words and letters in your post... ya' been kickin' back on grandpa's old cough medicine or somethin'... ? :pint:

Yeah wrote that while I was at work. Getting up at 6AM is still a new experience for me so for the first half of the day I am only really half "here". That and the laptop I use at work more or less sucks sometimes. I can always count on you Ross to point out my flaws  :-(
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Justin Camerer

I really enjoyed this video. I mean, sure, we all know that girls cant REALLY be involved in CS in any way, shape, or form, but its sure fun to imagine.

This actually is very encouraging. I am already in CS, but its cool to see all these people that werent involved in CS forever get great jobs like the ones these people had. I am always scared that I'm not gunna get a real great job, because I know so many people in CS and a lot (most) are a lot smarter than me.
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?