• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Communication Blackout at SIUE

Started by R. Andrew Lamonica, 2006-06-13T12:01:55-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

R. Andrew Lamonica

A little before 11am today (6-23), SIUE lost all of its communication with the outside world.  Dan Chace of Communications Support reports that a major fiber-optic cable belonging to AT&T was cut during some road construction in Edwardsville.  This fiber normally carries the data from campus computers, telephones, and at least one cellular tower.  In the Engineering Building, we lost the ability to make cellular phone calls on Verizon, Cingular, and T-Mobile Phones.

On campus communications (such as the posting of this message) seem to be working, but until late this afternoon we do not expect to be able to reach the outside world. ;-)

Matthew Thomas

I was wondering what was going on... stuff was spotty over in Pontoon Beach about the same time today.
Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas

William Grim

I don't really know what to do without the Internet.  Just kidding; I'll play the New Super Mario Bros.!
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

The line was finally repaired last night, but the connection was not restored untill lunch time today.  This line not only brought service to SIUE but also a large portion of Edwardsville and supported several cell phone towers as well.

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Bryan

good time to be on a business trip I'd say.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.