• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

BumpTop 3D Desktop Prototype

Started by Peter Motyka, 2006-06-23T23:16:47-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Motyka

SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

William Grim

Too bad my freaking FreeBSD desktop doesn't have flash installed correctly or I'd check it out.... maybe when my new Macbook with added features comes next week I will see it!
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Ross Mead

LOL!  When I took HCI (Human-Computer Interaction), we focused heavily on the way people organized their physical desktops and notes.  The conclusion that we came to is that many people use piles and simply develop their own understood organization of them; I often do this myself.  Well wouldn't you know, someone has finally come up with a design based on this concept!  **sighz** There goes my chance for an innovational new desktop interface! :-P  Oh well,... it looks really cool and easy to use.  I'd love to play with this interface sometime! :-D

Jerry

Wow!

Now my computer desktop can REALLY look like my office desktop - piles of stuff!

This is really cool.

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Justin Camerer

Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?

Jerry

Quoteiamjwc wrote:
Why does he say "Lassu"?

He is saying "Lasso" as in Rawhide - lasso a steer.

It is because the pen draws a circle aroudn the items that resembles a lasso

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Justin Camerer

haha... Yeah, he sure is trying... but "lassu" is what I am hearing.
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?

Peter Motyka

I was a bit confused by the gold nugget bling dollar sign jewelery at the begining of the video.  That was a bit random...
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

William Grim

I hear "lassu" as well.

Also, assuming that was a real desktop interface, I don't know how it would be useful.  We all know piling things on our desks isn't that great when we go to find things.  At least now, if you're careful, you can organize things carefully using current GUI tools... actually, Open Source desktops often make sense by putting editor-like applications under "Editors", development tools under "Development", etc.  Windows software, on the other hand, often puts applications in folders by company or software name:

"Start->Programs->Nero, Inc.->Nero Burning Rom".... wtf?  Shouldn't it just be "Start->Programs->CD Burning->Nero"?
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley