• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Linux Anybody?

Started by cfile, 2006-07-27T16:34:59-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

cfile

OK, first let me admit that I've already posted this question in another location.   :roll:   But I still need it answered, whomever it may be from.  Does anybody out there know anything about Linux? And I don't mean its history. Has anybody out there actually used it (whether you liked it or not)? Is anybody out there actually using it right now? I am curious because I've read a little about Linux (from Linux based sources) and it seems to be a comparable program to others; UNIX, Windows, etc. But I don't know of anybody that has actually used it. Or why somebody would want to use instead of Windows... aside from escaping "Big Brother".   :lol:   Anyway, if there's anyone out there who could lend some advise or experience, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, in advance, for any/everything.

~~Chad~~

William Grim

Uh, just ask a meaningful question already.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

Just like everything it has its ups and its downs.  I'm no expert but I'm learning slowly.  Here is what you do, find a distro thats somewhat simple for begginers.  Maybe Fedora or Ubuntu and then ask the crap out of someone who really knows there stuff when you have a question.. *cough* Grim *cough* We always pester him.  Some people are not ahuge fan of Ubuntu because it does some things "for" you but there is a TON of online documentation for when you run into a problem :)

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

cfile

Sorry grim, didn't realize that my question wasn't meaningful enough for you.   :bow:   I'll just look elsewhere for... well, for help!  Thanks anyway.  :cry:

William Grim

I quite like Ubuntu on the desktop these days.  It has that Debian feel I like while having very updated and diverse packages.

I still like Debian on the server though.  Can't beat Debian-stable (sarge).
William Grim

Jerry

Chad,

Don't take offense - it is just that your question is not specific enough for an easy answer. But let me give it a shot.

Operating systems are designed based on a philosophy of how and who is going to use them and administer them. Unix and all the flavors of unix were developed with the philosophy of having users who have different levels of expertise - some who would just be users, some who would be power users that would also administer their own system environments. The security of unix was designed like an onion so you can give different levels of users more power to access and make changes to the os.

CS power users (myself included) prefer unix environments because we can easily add scripts  and make changes to the os that are specific to our own work. Many administrators hate unix because it is easy for users to open up security holes as they are doing these things.

To learn more about unix I highly recommend taking Dr. Blythe's course on unix system administration - I believe it is scheduled for next Spring.

Hope this helps a little bit.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

raptor

President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

cfile

Thank you very much for your input Jerry.  I do know a little about OSes... though I'm sure not near as much as somebody majoring in CS or CSIM.  Anyway, I guess what I was really asking was: "Why is there such a heated debate when somebody mentions an OS like Linux, BSD, etc.?"  I never knew there was ever a reason to switch from Windows in the first place.  I realize that Windows has the market pretty much wrapped up; and some people just want to use something else to get away from that.  But I've read waaaay too much about these other (so-called) superior operating systems, that it's at least worth looking into.  I'm no computer whiz, never claimed to be.  But... if there's a better way to do something, I'm all for it.

Again, thanks for you input.
~~Chad~~

cfile

Grim, just outta curiosity, why are there soooo many different distros of linux?  are these actually different 'versions' of linux?  or are they the same thing only in different garb?  and if they are different, what's the same on them, that allows them to claim linux (or is linux simply the kernel within the shell)?

PS, sorry about the lip i gave you.  been havin long days at work lately.  but school will be starting up soon, and that means co-op will be ending soon!   :-D

~~Chad~~

William Grim

I honestly don't know why there are so many distros of linux (GNU people will correct you to say GNU/Linux).  I think it's because it's a faddish thing for most people to do.  However, some distros serve specific purposes, and you should pick one that serves your particular needs.  For learning how GNU/Linux works, I recommend Slackware.  It's not my favorite for practical use, but it is quite good for getting you familiar with running your own system by forcing you to do a lot of things manually.

As for the distributions being different versions of linux, that isn't quite right.  They are different collections of the Linux kernel and GNU (and sometimes other) software.

Linux is the low-level interface that supports higher-level programs you generally use.  Unless you are an OS designer, the chances you will have to know a lot of the internals of the Linux kernel are pretty low, in my opinion.
William Grim

cfile

Thank you.  You actually partially answered my next question by telling me a little about Slackware.  I was curious what the actual differences were between each of the different distros.  By the way, do feel there is a need to step away from Windows... aside from escaping the game of monopoly?   :lol:   I hear that Windows is more prone to viruses, and that when you own a Windows PC your destined to view the 'blue screen of death.  But to be honest, if 90% of the cars on the street are made by "Joe-Bloe" then mechanics are gonna see more of "Joe's" cars in their shops... right?  Again, please remember that I'm not a CS pro, but I do use my computer on a daily basis with spreadsheets, documents, data transfer, even data analysis (such as programs like CAD, FEM, etc.).  Would a guy like me actually benefit from Linux (or possibly some other OS) vs. Windows?  Thanks again for your advice and opinions.

~~Chad~~

Justin Camerer

This is somewhat related...

UNIX/Windows Quotes

I love the way Microsoft follows standards. In much the same manner that fish follow migrating caribou.
-- Paul Tomblin
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?

EvilAndrew

From the "UNIX/Windows Quotes"
QuoteBill Gates is a monocle and a Persian cat away from being the villain in a James Bond movie.
-- Dennis Miller
... in fact, I think he might have been one of the inspirations for Jonathan Pryce's charactor in Tomorrow Never Dies. (although I can think of at least one other media mogul that also fits the bill.)

You’ve got to had it to Bill Gates, however.  Since the nineties (when I’m sure that quote came from), he has really started to put his money to work on some good causes.

cfile

Those are hillarious!  Thanks for the laughs.   :lol:

~~Chad~~

DaleDoe

I don't recommend using slackware if you want to still be using Linux a few months from now.

Grim is right that you can learn a LOT by using it--I have.  And I still have slackware running on my PC.  But you don't seem like the type who is hard-core dedicated to learning the details of Linux configuration.  I really like Slackware, but it took me 3 days to get my initial slackware installation configured so everything worked propoerly.  I don't have time for that anymore.  I use Fedora more than anything else, mostly because I am familiar with it and it is relatively easy to use.

My reasons for switching to Linux:
1. It is free.  :-D
2. Even though other people who know little about computers use my system to go to MySpace and who knows where else, I don't need any virus scanner, etc.  Who bothers to write malware for desktop Linux?
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison