• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

CS 550 is now cross-listed with CS 490-4

Started by Jerry, 2006-07-30T03:42:38-05:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Still need a CS elective for the fall semester?

Consider learning C# and distributed componenets in CS 490 section 4 being offered by Dr. Stephen.

Course Description:

The course introduces "agile" development processes, some development tools/practices that are used in those processes(e.g. unit testing frameworks, test-driven development, and refactoring), spends a lot of time on software design patterns, and a lot of time examining .NET as an example of a modern object-oriented development platform. Many of the pattern examples are drawn from the .NET framework class library. All programs use C#. There is one large project, developed incrementally. Students will be expected to purchase at least two books, one for patterns and one for .NET.  The books (titles will be announced at the first class meeting) can be purchased from online booksellers at significant discounts.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Justin Camerer

exciting!

i hope i can fit this into my schedule.
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?

William Grim

I'm signed up for it.  I think looking at design patterns in more detail than just "my experience" will help me make faster and/or better development decisions than in the past.

I was taking a look at the design pattern book they used last year, and it looks quite good.  One thing in particular struck me... a quote in the book was "Have you ever had a really great class but didn't know how to name it?  Well, this book will show you how to create standards to make it easier to name things."  That alone should be worth it to me... I hate spending lots of time trying to create good names for objects just because I don't have a solid naming scheme... though I do try.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Justin Camerer

What you said...

Also, the whole "Agile Development" process and getting better at testing code really make me wanna take this.

Im pretty sure what im saying doesnt make sense because im pretty tired... so... sorry...
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?