• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

SIUE Publishes new Information Technology Policies

Started by R. Andrew Lamonica, 2006-08-14T11:37:20-05:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

R. Andrew Lamonica

OIT has just published new IT policies for campus.  

http://www.siue.edu/informationtechnology/policies/

Some things to note:
1. Many of the policies have not changed they have just been consolidated.

2. The SIUE password policy has changed dramatically.

3. The Academic Computing Lab policies only apply to academic computing labs but it is a good idea to follow most of them anyway.  For example, the CS lab rules do not forbid the rebooting of computers but strongly discourage eating in the labs.

4. Port scanning and packet sniffing are forbidden.  So all you "SIUE Hackers" beware.

5. There are some weird rules that I am not sure I understand.  Such as "Inspecting, modifying, distributing or copying electronic mail messages without proper authorization or in a manner other than in the ordinary course of University business [is not permitted]."  Does this mean that you are breaking the rules if you forward a faculty listserv e-mail to a friend?

6. Your SIUE (or SIUC) e-mail may be used by the school to "resolve internal disputes."  For example, the contents of your e-mail may be examined to resolve disputes arising from the SIU grievance policy or violations of the student conduct code.

Bryan

My personal favorite from OIT

QuoteA password must contain at least seven characters (letters or numbers) but no more than eight characters.

So..that means a password must be 7-8characters long.  So why the hell don't they just say "the password must be 7-8 characters in length".  Seriously I get so sick of having to decrypt this shit from people.

:roll:
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Matthew Thomas

Reminds me of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch:

QuoteAnd the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it." Amen.
Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas

raptor

somedays it is nice to work in industry instead of university
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Bryan

Quoteraptor wrote:
everyday it is nice to work in industry instead of university

fixed that for ya
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

raptor

haha except sometimes i miss doing nothing in the basement, and man the bandwith was nice
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

blacklee

QuoteMatthew wrote:
Reminds me of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch:

QuoteAnd the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it." Amen.
Got this today from MetroTix:
QuoteSPAMALOT | Fox Theatre - St Louis, on sale Sun, Aug 27

blacklee

I got this email from techhelp today:
QuoteThe SIUE computer security policy (http://www.siue.edu/informationtechnology/policies/) requires that students, faculty, and staff change their e-ID passwords at least once every 60 days.

Your password will expire in 6 days. You must change it before it expires to maintain continued access to computing resources including e-mail, Blackboard courses, and workstations.

If your e-ID password expires, you can still use the steps below to change it. The expired password can be used to get a new password, but it will not allow access to any other services.

Every 60 days? This is crazy!!!