• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

The Stephen Colbert bridge in Hungary

Started by William Grim, 2006-08-17T05:19:09-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

William Grim

Everyone, Stephen Colbert has urged the American voters and citizens of the Colbert Nation to vote for his name to go onto a bridge that has been erected in Hungary by going here and choosing "Stephen Colbert - hid" and then clicking the only button there is at the bottom.

To help Stephen Colbert's name make it into the Hungarian history books, I've written a python script and placed it here.  Download it and type "python ./colbert.txt" (assuming you have Python installed).  Just enter the average number of seconds you want to wait between voting, and then let the voting begin!  Should you do this, you will be a true American patriot, as Stephen Colbert would probably say!

PS: I'll be making this into a Windows executable tomorrow to make it easier for Windows users.  Oh, and word is that voting ends September 8.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Tyler

I love Stephen Colbert!

And that's the truthiness!
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

William Grim

Yeah, he's quite good.  Too bad he fluttered out on that joke about the planet with a weird name UB-2003 or something like that.  I think he could've made some sort of great joke there.

But, he did call it about the planets.  And he sure let that physicist know about it!  :)
William Grim

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

William Grim

Stephen Colbert is now in first place by a long shot!  I bet he'll be talking about his 6+ million votes tonight on the Colbert Report.

Our auto-voting programs totally owned everyone and continue to own!  However, no harm has been done.  This preliminary running is just so the Hungarian government can get suggestions.  I think the final naming is going to be done by a group of in-house people that will choose an appropriate name from the suggestions.

Still though... all who voted using the auto-voters or are still voting with them are true American heroes!
William Grim

Wownerd

Random Freshman and Troll.

William Grim

Yeah, I found it quite interesting as well.  I only placed about 700 personally by running only one copy and having long delays between each vote, but some people were sending hundreds of thousands of votes with multiple threads/processes and no sending delay.  They were effectively doing a DDoS attack on the system... no one wanted to be sensible about it.

Oh well.  It was all in fun, and the Hungarian government has gotten slightly smarter about the second round.  Even though writing a bot for that isn't hard either... ;)  But I won't be doing that this time.

As for Colbert, he has given us all a mission accomplished.  Though, he did sound somewhat embarrassed by the whole ordeal.

Remember, "Earth is America's planet", and we don't want competition from Plutons!  ;-p
William Grim