• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Cougar Network

Started by Penguin, 2006-08-19T14:21:20-05:00 (Saturday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Penguin

Does anyone have any idea how bandwidth is being allocated in cougar?  I am unable to get speeds faster than 90 KB/s and usually my speeds are only around 50 KB/s and fluctuates wildly depending on where I am downloading from (ftp, http, etc).  I am not using torrents or P2P so don't blame poor seeds.

I first thought that bandwidth was based on IP but when I fired up my laptop my downloads on my desktop slowed to a halt.  Then I was thinking it was based on e-id so I started up a download on my roommates computer and my downloads on my desktop slowed down again.  So now I am thinking that it might be based on apartment which with only 90 KB/s per apt is outrageous.

All computers I tried were either hooked up in different parts of our apartment or hooked up to a switch, so each machine had a unique school IP.

If anyone knows anything about this please share.

edit:  It would also appear that local traffic effects your total allocation.  One of my friends is trying to grab something via ftp from me and he is only getting ~50 KB/s and my connection has grinded to a hault.

Shaun Martin

It's just as bad in Woodland.  They don't give a crap about people living on campus when it comes to internet connection.  Random spikes, tons of packet loss.  I won't make any comments on the technical service at this school.  They already love me enough.
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

Ross Mead

Ahh,... good ole' Shaun and his fights with campus computing...

... welcome back CAOS...  :-)

raptor

FOR THE RECORD: I NO LONGER WORK FOR OIT

But, I will defend them a bit.  Yes network speeds in Cougar sucks.  It comes down to one thing. MONEY.  The core campus is considered the main priority and there for cougar doesn't have the network bandwidth the rest of campus does.  BUT HAVE NO FEAR (or at least less fear) with the advent of the new technology fee on your tuition TELECOM should be able to finish dragging fiber optic line out to the apartments, and increase over all bandwidth. Its just a matter of time.

And as far as making comments about tech support...Well I've seen it from the inside and the people you talk to and deal with agree with you, but their hands are tied buy people higher up.
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Jesse Phelps

This is why you guys should get involved with the Student Government. I serve on the Technology Advisory Council... but I am only one voice. There are two seats for students on TAC but I have a hard time finding anyone else to serve on there. When I have the ability to do so I complain for you guys and I agree with many of the problems expressed.

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni

raptor

Shaun,

Long time no bash...err...talk LOL how was your summer.
President of CAOS

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni

raptor

Same,  I'm working for Anheuser-Busch now
President of CAOS