• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

CS Dept. endorses C++ reference book

Started by Jerry, 2006-08-25T09:09:22-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

The University Bookstore will soon have C++ The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt on its shelves. It should be available after Aug. 31st. This book is recommended by the Department of Computer Science as an optional text for purchase. It is a reference book containing quick definitions and examples of all aspects of C++.

This book will likely come in handy when programming in C++ in CS 140, CS 150, CS 240, CS 340, CS 456, and various CS electives.

The list price is $49.99.

Need to think about it?

If you aren’t sure if you want to buy the book, a copy is on reserve in the library so you can check it out for up to 2 hours and see what you think. To check it out, go to the circulation desk and ask for reserve call number P.C.110.

You can search the Reserves Online Catalog at http://www.library.siue.edu/lib/ by choosing â€Ã...“Course Reservesâ€Ã, and searching using course number CSPR.

You must present your SIUE ID card and the call number of the book to a circulation desk assistant to check out the book.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

raptor

I have been wanting a good reference book.  Its nice to know there is one that has been reviewed by my peers.  Can I ask who all reviewed the book?
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Shaun Martin

Do you know if it provides any examples of code? Templates, etc.
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

eyebrow

I was the main reviewer of the book, but the entire CS faculty had a chance to review it before voting to endorse it as the officially-recommended C++ reference book.

It has lots of code examples, but because the book covers so much material, they are generally short.

The code in the book is available online.

Also, if you want to examine the book without/before buying it, it's on reserve at the library.
Just go to the circulation desk and ask for call number P.C.110.  Bring your ID card.  You can check it out for up to 2 hours at a time.

Steve Klein

Geoff Schreiber

I have owned this book for a few months now - and as reference material, it is indeed a good book.

The one complaint I had about it is that it does not go into anything regarding the GUI programming capabilities of C++.  This is one area that SIUE doesn't (didn't) delve into during programming courses, and compared to VB, is quite complicated at times.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Schreiber
Project Engineer
FASTechnology Group

William Grim

As a C++ reference, it doesn't seem like it should go into any GUI programming.  That's handled by 3rd party libraries and is not a first class task of C++.  However, in a way, our CS graphics course goes over some "GUI" development with C++.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Geoff Schreiber

I understand that - it was mostly my own fault when purchasing it - what I should have been looking for was a VC++ reference that mentioned MFC rather than the generic C++ reference I suppose.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Schreiber
Project Engineer
FASTechnology Group