• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

It keeps getting scarier...check out this AI and Nueral Network R&D

Started by raptor, 2006-09-14T16:37:42-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Mead

(As I'm sure many of you have noticed, the link is broken.  Just copy the whole thing into your browser... )

Quote... these will have to find their way into underground bunkers, map unknown facilities in three dimensions and identify what's in them while avoiding detection -- all without any human control.

There are some already existing systems that are steps in the right direction.  The University of Massachusetts-Lowell has a method for detecting entry ways, such as doors (both open and closed) and various other openings that could lead to another place.  At AAAI-05, I saw a 3D mapping system for both indoor and outdoor environments.  At the University of Southern California, students have developed algorithms for "stealthy" or "sneaky" robots, which use the environment to obscure an observers view.

QuoteIt's based on work by Stephen Thaler, who came to prominence 10 years ago with his brainchild the Creativity Machine.

It's worth noting that Dr. Thaler's company, Imagination Engines, Incorporated, is based in Maryland Heights, which is not far from here.

On a personal note, I feel that many of the motivations for robotics research is misplaced.  The media consistently portrays robots in a negative way, often associating with them enslavement and war.  Despite the negative connotations of intelligent machinery that are constantly put across, we do not seem to take away much of the potential wisdom offered by them; rather, we fuel them by pushing research in putting autonomous robots on the battle field to do the dirty work for us.  My opinion: focus on robots that help society as a whole; don't strap guns to them, they are not meant to be weapons.  If I ever see a shirt that says, "Guns don't kill people, robots do!" I'm gonna' lose it!

Hmm,... idea for the next CAOS t-shirt... :lol:

Jonathan Birch

Hey! I actually interviewed at that place. They had an office filled with soil and broken tiles and such for testing locomotion systems.

It seemed like something of a weird group though.