• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Power Adapter

Started by raptor, 2006-10-17T12:28:41-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

raptor

I need to buy a replacement AC adapter for my laptop.  The factory replacement is about 80 bucks, but i've found others that list as a replacement for much cheaper.  The only difference in the specs is the amperage.  The original lists at (or up to) 4.9a the replacement is only listed as 3.5.

Suggestions?
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Shaun Martin

Pay 80 bucks and get a power adapter?
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

thatguy

Go to a computer store that sells used parts and buy one.

You could also toss your laptop in the trash and get a new one.
#Something witty

William Grim

If you get a new power adapter, you need to get one that matches the voltage and amperage expected by the machine exactly.  If you get something that can't provide enough power, you could burn out your system or cause the battery to drain when you are plugged into the wall and using the system.

Note: I'm not an EE, but I think those are what would commonly occur.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

John

I work in the Geek Squad at Best Buy, and we have a bunch of universal power adapters. Like grimw said, the voltage and amperage must match exactly.

On the back of all the ones at Best Buy it will say which models they work for if you want to be absolutely sure, and they are only about $60 I believe. I know that's only $20 off, but hey that's good enough for me.

Also, if it's less than a year old, you can bring it and the laptop into Best Buy, and I think, we can get a new one sent to you for free. Not 100% sure about that, though. I'll make an edit later when I find out.
Thanks,
John

Jesse Phelps

Actually, I am an EE student as well as CS. As long as your adapter can supply AT LEAST the same current and the SAME voltage you will be fine.

Jesse Phelps

Geoff Schreiber

Jesse's right - as long as you have enough amperage you are fine - extra amperage isn't a problem - that just means you are producing a higher wattage supply...

(Volts * Amps = Watts)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Schreiber
Project Engineer
FASTechnology Group

Shaun Martin

Or: P = IV for us Physics fans.
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.