• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

i've got a question

Started by JR, 2006-10-17T19:45:15-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

why wont a c++ program that i wrote run on another machine (which, incidentally does not have VS).

example, me compiling my graphics program on my computer and taking the .exe and glut32.dll to another machine only to have it not work. im baffled.

JR
Retired President of CAOS

William Grim

Hard to say.  What are the exact error messages you get when you run the program?
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Ross Mead

Do you get error messages, or is the output (namely, the color) different?

When I was in graphics, certain programs (the hand and my final project) would have issues that would display objects as white instead of their actual color (or texture-map).  Dr. White had the same problem with some of his programs; neither of us found a solution.  I had read somewhere that this was common with ATI video cards, but I don't think that that's the only factor.

Describe the error or dysfunctionality, and maybe we can help you more.

Nathan

I did some looking around, and I think I found a solution,
unless you're getting a different error than I was.

In your project's properties -> C/C++ -> code generation, change the runtime library to something without DLLs.
I had to use Multi-Threaded Debug.

After that, recompile and try it on another machine. You'll still need glut.dll, of course, but it worked for me.

"May the lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering!"

raptor

whenever you build your project build it in release mode so the exe is not attached to any other files in the project folder.. i've seen that cause problems as well
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

JR

thanks, ill start trying some of these

in case you're still curious, here's the error message

Geoff Schreiber

it's great you blurred out the username in the message box dialog, however, you forgot the title bar...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Schreiber
Project Engineer
FASTechnology Group

JR

haha, yeah, that was a good one on my part

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.