• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

High Ping?

Started by Niche, 2006-11-29T23:21:36-06:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Niche

Recently I've been trying to play video games online.  I live in the dorms and I'm using ethernet.  I hardly ever have issues with the speed online, but when it comes to playing games, the ping is crazy.  On average, my ingame ping is anywhere from 300-500.  All the servers that I try to connect to have an average latency from 300-1000+.  If I do finally get to play, it's about 12:30-2:00 AM.  Around that time my ping has dropped from 300 to about 14.  

What's the problem?

Kit

Welcome to the wonderful SIUE network.  :-x
SIUe Computer Science Graduate

raptor

President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Shaun Martin

SIUE Network is just sooooooo great, ain't it raptor?

Not blocking Limewire or other file transfer programs.  Best network EVER!

I'd suggest bringing this issue up with our helpful friends from OIT.  :innocent:
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

Kit

Plus, usually when the internet goes out, I can still access any google web pages (I can still search and everything but can't go to the links). For some reason, the SIUE network hates everything except google.
SIUe Computer Science Graduate

Shaun Martin

We are supposed to get a new ISP with higher bandwidth over X-mas break.  So, I would hold out for that and if it still stinks we should raise our pitchforks.  :-D
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

raptor

I no longer work for OIT. lol I moved up in the world.  But basically the network on campus is bad for students for two reason...1) money 2)politics (teachers and staff first sorta thing), but with the new ISP connection comming soon it should get a lot better (more money)

On a completely UNOFFICIAL NOTE I beleive the entire campus shares a bandwidth somewhere right above 40 megs a sec
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

MikeMruzik

yeah, I too get pretty high ping. I'm also bitter because I can't seem to get an answer from OIT if I can adjust my personal firewall settings because I'm trying to write socket code, which is impossible given that UDP is blocked across the board.
-- http://tomm.thasauce.net --
Visit my IRC network: irc.slacknet.org #aurous
I run plenty of IRC based games I've written over the years though. It's a great, nerdy community :)