• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Win a trip to CA on Google

Started by EvilAndrew, 2007-01-31T02:37:27-06:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilAndrew

This looks like a fun competition.  Even if you didn't win, it would be cool to have this project done for SIUE.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/01/show-us-your-university-campus-in-3d.html

I have used Google SketchUp before, and it is real easy to use.

Dustin Sanders

Awsome, I'd be willing to do this if i could get either a photographer to take pictures of all the sides of the buildings (or in several pictures of a side) or to loan me a camera.  

Maybe this weekend if i get bored i'll start play'n with it.

Update:
So we need to create a Team, I'm willing to be team captian if you'd like.  Anyone else want to join in on this?  We can do a little bit at a time, get together and work on one building or each do a sepearte building (probably the best).  Please let me know!  I'll go ahead and create the team, I think i can add more later *shrug* not sure.
~Wedge
blog: www.ageek.net

Dustin Sanders

Actually, I may need to wait till we have some team members to put in there.  So if your interested lets get crack'n.. Cause i wanna go to Google again!  I love california, and those guys know how to party.  I was there in 2004, it was great!
~Wedge

Ross Mead

This sounds like something to bring up at the next meeting.  I'd love to do it, but I'm preoccupied with a million other things.

thatguy

You just keep those 'other things' between you and the sheep.
#Something witty

Dustin Sanders

ROFL.. No donkeys either..

"Its a donkey show!"
~Wedge

Dustin Sanders

~Wedge

Jesse Cook

Here's the original post for those of you that showed an interest at the last CAOS meeting.  ;-)
Jesse James Cook
7 Yr Prog, Computer Science
Former VP of CAOS

Dustin Sanders

Sorry got real busy.   Yeah I'd like to get going on this sometime.. Hopefully i can get some spare time to work on it.  I think it would be a great project.  
~Wedge

John

I am still willing to work on it as well, however I realized the software costs several hundred dollars. I don't have that kind of cash. Would anyone be willing to fund this? Are there even others that are interested besides myself and Wedge?
Thanks,
John

EvilAndrew

It only cost $49.  But the beta is free, and it is as good or better than the fill version of 5.

Regular (Education License):
http://www.sketchup.com/?title=Student%20License

Beta:
http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

If you are just doing the Google academic challenge you can surely use the academic license.

If you cannot get these prices, talk to someone in the CS Dept.  They may be able to sponcer student project and they can get the prices no problem. ;)

Dustin Sanders

The sketch up i have is free, its probably the beta, not positive.  i'll have to check when i get to work. I already started on the engineering building, but i realize we need some blueprints or something atleast dementions.  I suppose we couled get a laser ruler and do it ourselves.. *shrug*.  
~Wedge