• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

uptime

Started by Peter Motyka, 2002-10-11T13:21:19-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Motyka

What can I say... I am an uptime freak.  I thought I would take this time to show off my recent feat in uptime world.  My desktop windows 2000 machine has been purring like a kitten and still is after 19 days of running.  I alway here people complaining about how often they need to reboot thier computers... I guess this shows that your computer system is as stable as you make it.

Check out the screenshot pmotykodesktop.jpg 153KB

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Jerry

Well, what about those times where my system decides its time for it to reboot on me? In that case I guess this would show that my computer system is as unstable as Microsoft chooses to make it. :-)

Quotepmotyko wrote:
 I alway here people complaining about how often they need to reboot thier computers... I guess this shows that your computer system is as stable as you make it.

Peter
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

William Grim

Yeah, I've seen Win2K reboot on itself on my friends computer.

"Oh man, I'm about to win at StarCraft!"  *Reboot*  "WTF?!  You fscking piece of {explicative}; I'm going to {explicative} beat your {explicative} {explicative} {explicative}!!!"

Yeah, that's about how my friend feels when his system reboots, and I know it's not the user.  Something is weird about his computer.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Chris Swingler

Usually it's some hardware quirk.  Bad driver, loose component, something overheating, bad stick 'o RAM.  But it is annoying...  I had a P200 that picked up this habit.

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Do you consider 19 days a long time?  

jeff@yngwie:~$ uptime
 10:44pm  up 72 days, 15:04,  0 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.07, 0.02

jeff@kunda:~$ uptime
 11:10pm  up 147 days, 15:09,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.06, 0.01

that whole 19 day thing is kind of cute :)

Peter Motyka

root@solar:~# uptime
 10:54pm  up 258 day(s), 12:56,  8 users,  load average: 0.59, 1.32, 0.91

that is the server that runs this site :) nuff said...

It looks even sweeter in colour

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002

thats more like it :)

What exactly is this site run on anyway?  

Peter Motyka

solar.cs is the computer science department's sun server.  We are running solaris 8 on a sun 220R enterprise box.

System specs:
dual ultrasparc II 450MHz cpus
2gb of memory
2 36gb 10k rpm scsi drives

Overall it is a pretty sweet system.  It is used in CS434,CS414 and CS340 and to host our wonderful website :D

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002

William Grim

We need to get another drive for the system so the OS has a place for just it to reside.

That would give us room to test upgrading the system to newer versions of Solaris without fear, etc.

I think I might bring that up some time.

Well, later!
William Grim

Sun makes the nicest servers ever, in my opinion..  The mips SGI stuff is better for number crunching type things but overall sun is the best..  

I'd like to get one of the cobalt qubes just to play around with it..  

=)

I want to play with SIUEs Suns... Where are they?  Any SGIs on campus?

C3

i too hit the 19day mark, what a proud moment :-)   i finally rebooted, now just have to see if it can go longer...
-the world is full of stupid people-.........

William Grim

Our Sun server is solar.cs.siue.edu.  If you are part of the SOENT domain in the EB, then you have access to it.

I also have another present waiting for CS students, but I have to finish it up first (should be this week; it's on my priority list of things to get done).

Later!
William Grim

William Grim

Hey guys!  This uptime would be higher, but I just upgraded FreeBSD to 4.7-RC, and in order to have the new kernel take effect, you must reboot the system.

Anyway, this sytem has run over 60 days at its longest run (seems about every 60 days I have to either physically move the server or xmas breaks come up and we're required to power down).

The system has been installed since Feb. 8, 2002, and it has undergone 4 upgrades during that time.  It went from 4.4 to 4.5 to 4.6 to 4.7-PRERELEASE to 4.7-RC.

Talk about stability.  I even messed up some of the installed software before, but after about 3 days of tweaking the files I broke and reinstalling sofware and then deinstalling properly, the system was fully usable again.  Now THAT is what I call a real OS.

The OS runs on a 16 GB drive where I have no fear of losing data (this is what I want to happen to our Sun server).  The data is warehoused on an 80 GB drive I got a few weeks ago (another drive is needed soon).  Hardware IDE Raid runs the 80 GB drive as ATA/133.
William Grim

Stiffler

I believe the latest version of Norton Ghost or Powerquest DriveImage can move Solaris partitions, so you could just move the OS to a new partition and keep the boot sector. Or, you could just move the files, and use a boot disk and re-install the boot sector. If you want a 60 Gig 7200 Maxtor HD, I can talk to my suitmate, because he owns a Computer Resale business, and he will sell the CS depart one for cheap, or even donate it for free and write it off as a business expense. OR, two or three if I ask nicely. They're IDE drives though. You could use those as a temporary, untill he got SCSI drives in at wholesale cost. Another words, dirt cheap, fun, fun, SCSI HDs. Let me know a precise parts list so I can place the order.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Peter Motyka

The problem with rearranging solar's partitions and harddrives is there are no more physical interfaces to attach drives in the system.  When we ordered solar, we accidently ordered a rack mount system.  To save space they only have room for 2 physical drives to be mounted in the main system.  We have 2 spare harddisks, but no where to  mount them.  There is an external enclosure called the "storEdge" but it is quite expensive and the CS department has balked at purchasing it.

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002

Stiffler

Can't you just take the guts out of the rackmount and out it in a big case. Then use a SCSI/IDE extender to increase the number of drives that can go on it? The extender would plug into the existing connector that you plug the current HD into.

Jon

Chris Swingler

I'm getting my MacSE back, anyone want to make estimates about what uptime I could hit on that little machine?

It's an irrelevant issue on my main PC, I reboot it an awful lot to switch OSs, but I'll try to keep the SE running as long as I possibly can.  

(I hypothesise that a head crash or the raster connection on the monitor needing repair will end my Mac's run.)

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

William Grim

Well, I guess I can work something out on solar then for upgrading OS versions.  I felt it was safest to have multiple drives, but if there is no physical space left, then that's just the way it goes.

It's no big deal overall really I guess if we're safe; maybe I should read more up on the specs of solar now that I'm getting the hang of that thing.

Ph34r Sun Microsystems!
William Grim

Ryan Lintker

Call me crazy, but I go for maximum downtime on my system.

There's a company out there that keeps sending these huge power bills to my apartment!  I don't like paying hard earned money to run a computer when all it is doing is looking for aliens.

I imagine that my computer uses a decent amount of power when I consider how much warmer my room is when I leave it on to download a service pack or defrag the hard drive.  If I have my monitor on as well, it really gets warm.

Maybe in the cold of the winter, I'll let her run overnight to keep my toes from getting cold while I sleep, but considering it only takes a minute or so to boot up, and I usually only use it in several hour blocks, it just may run only 8 hours a day for a long time.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

Kade P. Cole

This is my best uptime so far. Just thought I would share.  :-)
http://caos.siue.edu/modules/my_egallery/gallery/screenshots/UPTIME.gif">
Kade
--------------------------------------
Most people HAVE to use a PC.
I GET to use a MAC with OS X!

Stiffler

Well, here's my current uptime on my PIII 550 running Windows XP SP1.
[img align=left]http://caos.siue.edu/images/forumpost/Uptime.bmp[/img]

Jon

William Grim

I would show the CS department's new FreeBSD server uptime as it was doing quite nicely.  However, I had to modify the kernel because I wanted it to be smaller while adding some extra functionality that I was either too lazy to do at the beginning or did not have the time to do.

It was like 37 days of uptime.

Oh well!  It won't get above 50 days of uptime for a while I don't think, what with FreeBSD 5.0 working its way out and everything.
William Grim

Victor Cardona

Man I am bummed. I just blew away 141 days of uptime on my Gentoo Linux box at work in order to install SuSE 8.1 :-(

Victor

Victor Cardona

QuoteRyan wrote:
There's a company out there that keeps sending these huge power bills to my apartment!  I don't like paying hard earned money to run a computer when all it is doing is looking for aliens.

Actually, computers use a relatively small amount of electricity. Besides, seti needs your help :-)